New South Irish Stout

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.18/5  rDev +5%

Sampled on a nitro-tap. The beer looked great, although the nose wasn't as big as expected. Mild hints of coffee and chocolate. The taste was well balanced, something I like when drinking stouts (note the plural). However, I would be very interested to try this beer on CO2. I think the nitro balanced it out almost too much. When I drink a stout (singular), I usually want to go on a flavor roller coaster. I think the CO2 would allow that. But the nitro did give the beer a very balanced quality, and I think that even the lay stout-drinker would appreciate this beer. The mouthfeel was very good, giving it an above average overall score.

3.51/5  rDev +15.8%

At T-Bonz in North Myrtle Beach I gave this a try but find that's it's apparently not a regular on their beer list. The staff at T-Bonz seemed to have little clue about the brews other than "it's a good beer" sort of advice, so I couldn't get any useful information on this stout. The brew arrived with a solid white/brown colored head over a dark brown brew with very nice lacing. The aroma offers a very mild malt, but that's about it, unimpressive. The taste thankfully comes out with more malt and charcoal with some watery lemon bite on the edges. It's fine, not memorable, with mild carbonation, good drinkability, a fairly smooth but somewhat watery feel. Body is meedium light. Not much to say, not a bad choice considering the options from New South.

New South Irish Stout from New South Brewing Co.