You're All I Need: Vic Secret

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 4
4.68/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my first non-collaborative beer by Interboro, and thus also my first experience with their DDH single hop DIPA series "You're All I Need." I'm pretty excited for this one because my only prior knowledge of Interboro is that they collaborated with tiny Portland, ME darlings Bunker Brewing Co. for an awesome imperial "blueberry pancake" breakfast stout earlier this year. I was happy to see some of their offerings at my local Craft Beer Cellar and wasn't the least bit upset to throw a few bucks at a can of this very brew, especially due to it containing one of my favorite modern hops: Vic Secret.

The pour here is a 100% turbid, opaque orange liquid adorned with a thin but retentive eggshell-white head which leaves behind some really nice tiered lace as it slowly slinks away over a ten or so minute period. This beer is REALLY hazy, probably just as much as the haziest Trillium I've had, and I really like the meringue-like foam going on here. Extremely nice looking!

The nose is exactly what I expect from the intense Vic Secret varietal... I get a ton of dank, grassy and pine-y aspects up front, reined in by juicy tropical fruit ranging from passion fruit to mango pulp. With a huge green swell of beautiful hoppy goodness, this beer absolutely flies out of the can and the glass straight to my senses. It's truly awesome smelling! Slight notes of green onion and a light plasticy note do seem to intervene at first, but they honestly feel very at home eventually, as weird as that sounds. Something about how these elements all work together is hard to describe, but Vic Secret really does glue it all together.

The flavor here is somehow even better! This is like a spicier, fruity DIPA with much more focus on pine and dankness than some other similar modern hops. There's less grassiness and passion fruit than its "sister hop," Galaxy, with a greater focus on juicy mango and papaya. Light black pepper and estery notes toward the mid-palate combine with pure pineapple-orange juice in the finish... almost a smoothie-like feel on this one with a very soft palate and moderated carbonation. Short, quick burst of bitterness with each sip, and then nothing. Very clean and exacting in its profile, for sure. This is just about one of the best hoppy beers I've had lately. It really has it all: fruity, pine-y, dank and green with excellent drinkability and a well-defined profile. Not messy or unfocused like a lot of double NEIPAs... just pure hop bliss. I'm 100% into this! Now to find more in this series... can they pull off Mosaic in a big DIPA where a lot of breweries fail? Damn it, I need to know!

You're All I Need: Vic Secret from Interboro Spirits and Ales