Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Colt 45 High Gravity Lager | Pabst Brewing Company

pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Zorro on 09-26-2009

2.34/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.49/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.98/5  rDev +46.9%

Probably my favorite high gravity malt liquor. A little hard to find (though, it seems, Pabst is expanding its distribution), but certainly worth picking up if you come across it. Not super complex, of course, but I would venture far better than most readers of this site would expect, if judged without prejudice.

1.36/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Utterly putrid beer, sickeningly sweet, boozy-clean alcohol finish, and just a disgusting body all around. One of the worst malt liquors alongside Camo Silver Ice.

4.65/5  rDev +71.6%

I'm hit with a powerful, boozy sweetness right off the bat. Not necessarily a bad thing, for the style. It doesn't leave that sickly sweet aftertaste like so many other malt liquors do. In fact, the aftertaste is gone almost instantly.

If you want to talk about mouth-feel, it's surprisingly light and crisp for a high gravity malt liquor. Not at all like the almost syrupy texture that some have. It's lightly carbonated, and incredibly easy to drink. It goes down very smooth, and leaves a pleasant, slightly warm feeling in my stomach. I could chug this without any problem.

The only negative I can think of is the smell. Although no malt liquor smells particularly good, this one has a strong, yeasty vegetable smell that could be off-putting to some.

I drank it straight from the can, if that matters to anyone. It is slightly easier to chug in a glass, but otherwise it really doesn't matter.

I'd mention the appearance, but who cares? I can't think of any other style of beer where appearance matters less.

Overall, this is my favorite malt liquor I've tried so far, and I've tried a lot. At 8.5% ABV it gets you to where you want to be quickly. It isn't even too bad when it warms up, which is incredibly rare.

4.03/5  rDev +48.7%

Colt 45 High Gravity Lager brewed by Pabst Brewing Company. with an ABV of 8.50% This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice small white head. The smell of Colt 45 High Gravity Lager, is rich with grains sand malts. You pick up on corn and a mild sweetness, in the smell of this brew. The taste of this brew is rich with corn and and malts. There is also a hit of hops in the taste of this brew. This brew has the look, smell and the taste of most malt liquors on the market. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Colt 45 High Gravity Lager, has an ok balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel of Colt 45 High Gravity Lager, is rich bold clean and refreshing. Overall I'm giving Colt 45 High Gravity Lager a 4 out of 5. Pabst Brewing Company, did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again. If you like the taste of malt liquor this is the brew for you. This brew is sweet and it has that bite that most malt liquors have.

4.14/5  rDev +52.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

2.28/5  rDev -15.9%

this is a cheapo beer i buy for 3.99 when there is no other beer on sale. at 8.5 alcohal per volume it gets the job done cheaply. it taste absolutly AWFUL when it is warm, when it is cold thugh it taste mutch better. the smell is probaly one of the least appealing smells to beers, but not bad enugh to be undrinkable.

while this is not my go-to cheapo beer it is ofton the only thing sold around here for cheap enugh with a high enugh alcohal content, it appears to taste better when it is drank in conjunction with other beers.

3.68/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I bought this as a goof for my 700th beer on beer advocate. It is really a lot better than I expected. It isn't world class. But for the price and the flavor/ABV it rates pretty darn high. Pour it in a pint glass and give it a try. You may be surprised.

2.25/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.92/5  rDev +7.7%

2.92/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

doesn't taste as great as say Steel Reserve around the same alcohol level to me but for the alcohol content and how easy to drink it is in comparison you can't beat it for the same price.

2.2/5  rDev -18.8%

2.18/5  rDev -19.6%

2.45/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

1.25/5  rDev -53.9%

1.73/5  rDev -36.2%

1.8/5  rDev -33.6%

1.25/5  rDev -53.9%

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours to a nice looking white head that hangs around for a while and tries to lace, but then it craps out to a thin ring. Color is light gold. Aroma is sweet corn and veggies--there's some malt in there too. Flavor is sweet, tangy, clean, boozy and corn-syrupy as hell--just what it should be. Finish is all alcohol and corn. Mouthfeel is light and dry and more like brandy or vodka. Overall, a decent buzzer that plays to its audience well.

AROMA 5/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 5/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 8/20

4.74/5  rDev +74.9%

Appearance is perfect!! pale yellow see through. head inch thick poured into pint glass. white medium head. Not foamy.

The smell is of sweet fresh corn that's been soaking in sugar water overnight. FYI, it tastes good when grilled! Hop aroma, maybe a very minimal amount of but can't put my nose on it.

Taste. Just when I thought Colt 45 was my favorite, this one outdated regular colt 45, by far.
Much sweeter and I can't put a word or ingredient that comes to mind to describe it. It tastes amazing! So malty but not heavy and we work on mouthfeel. Lighter than Steel Reserve if I can say that. Not too much carbonation as to make it ungulpable but enough there to keep it afloat.

Overall. a kick butt beer!
I bought a 4 pack of 16oz cans for 3.20. Not that I'm trying to get ripped but mind you, 8.5% abv is something else on an empty stomach. After 1 of these after work. Felt nice.
To Colt 45... You rock! keep making good high gravity beer!

3.58/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Works every time? it sure does, at least for me. $2 for a 24oz 8.5% beer? I don't think you can get a better value. And you know what?; this beer is alot better than poor. in fact, anyone rating this beer poor or below average needs a reality check. It's actually better than average, and once again, better than tons of mediocre craft I've had. And the gorgeous 24oz can doesn't hurt.

Pale yellow decent head not my favorite look but it's ok. Nicely malted aroma, no off smells and very fresh. Big malt liquor taste, smooth and refreshing with plenty of flavor. Hop presence noted with hints of apple and pear. Easy drinking for a hot summer night.

Dropped my car off Monday night picked up my rental in the hood. Heading towards K&A (that would be Kensington and Allegheny, Philadelphia PA (where i grew up) knew I'd find a beer deli. Sure enough, there was B&G (or was it G&B?) walked in saw this 24 had to have one. Tasted it, grabbed 2 more. Gotta love the hood, hey, it's where I'm from. Will certainly get this again.

Last year i spent $75 on my Rare. Yes it was good but I'm sure was much better fresh. Spending that $75 was just fucking stupid, and a complete waste of money. This proves beer doesn't have to be expensive, or craft, just has to be good. This is Beer Advocate, not Craft Beer Advocate, after all.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%