Colt 45 High Gravity Lager | Pabst Brewing Company

40%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 37 | Ratings: 67
4.65/5  rDev +57.6%

I'm hit with a powerful, boozy sweetness right off the bat. Not necessarily a bad thing, for the style. It doesn't leave that sickly sweet aftertaste like so many other malt liquors do. In fact, the aftertaste is gone almost instantly.

If you want to talk about mouth-feel, it's surprisingly light and crisp for a high gravity malt liquor. Not at all like the almost syrupy texture that some have. It's lightly carbonated, and incredibly easy to drink. It goes down very smooth, and leaves a pleasant, slightly warm feeling in my stomach. I could chug this without any problem.

The only negative I can think of is the smell. Although no malt liquor smells particularly good, this one has a strong, yeasty vegetable smell that could be off-putting to some.

I drank it straight from the can, if that matters to anyone. It is slightly easier to chug in a glass, but otherwise it really doesn't matter.

I'd mention the appearance, but who cares? I can't think of any other style of beer where appearance matters less.

Overall, this is my favorite malt liquor I've tried so far, and I've tried a lot. At 8.5% ABV it gets you to where you want to be quickly. It isn't even too bad when it warms up, which is incredibly rare.

4.03/5  rDev +36.6%

Colt 45 High Gravity Lager brewed by Pabst Brewing Company. with an ABV of 8.50% This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice small white head. The smell of Colt 45 High Gravity Lager, is rich with grains sand malts. You pick up on corn and a mild sweetness, in the smell of this brew. The taste of this brew is rich with corn and and malts. There is also a hit of hops in the taste of this brew. This brew has the look, smell and the taste of most malt liquors on the market. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Colt 45 High Gravity Lager, has an ok balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel of Colt 45 High Gravity Lager, is rich bold clean and refreshing. Overall I'm giving Colt 45 High Gravity Lager a 4 out of 5. Pabst Brewing Company, did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again. If you like the taste of malt liquor this is the brew for you. This brew is sweet and it has that bite that most malt liquors have.

2.28/5  rDev -22.7%

this is a cheapo beer i buy for 3.99 when there is no other beer on sale. at 8.5 alcohal per volume it gets the job done cheaply. it taste absolutly AWFUL when it is warm, when it is cold thugh it taste mutch better. the smell is probaly one of the least appealing smells to beers, but not bad enugh to be undrinkable.

while this is not my go-to cheapo beer it is ofton the only thing sold around here for cheap enugh with a high enugh alcohal content, it appears to taste better when it is drank in conjunction with other beers.

3.68/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I bought this as a goof for my 700th beer on beer advocate. It is really a lot better than I expected. It isn't world class. But for the price and the flavor/ABV it rates pretty darn high. Pour it in a pint glass and give it a try. You may be surprised.

2.92/5  rDev -1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

doesn't taste as great as say Steel Reserve around the same alcohol level to me but for the alcohol content and how easy to drink it is in comparison you can't beat it for the same price.

2.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours to a nice looking white head that hangs around for a while and tries to lace, but then it craps out to a thin ring. Color is light gold. Aroma is sweet corn and veggies--there's some malt in there too. Flavor is sweet, tangy, clean, boozy and corn-syrupy as hell--just what it should be. Finish is all alcohol and corn. Mouthfeel is light and dry and more like brandy or vodka. Overall, a decent buzzer that plays to its audience well.

AROMA 5/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 5/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 8/20

4.74/5  rDev +60.7%

Appearance is perfect!! pale yellow see through. head inch thick poured into pint glass. white medium head. Not foamy.

The smell is of sweet fresh corn that's been soaking in sugar water overnight. FYI, it tastes good when grilled! Hop aroma, maybe a very minimal amount of but can't put my nose on it.

Taste. Just when I thought Colt 45 was my favorite, this one outdated regular colt 45, by far.
Much sweeter and I can't put a word or ingredient that comes to mind to describe it. It tastes amazing! So malty but not heavy and we work on mouthfeel. Lighter than Steel Reserve if I can say that. Not too much carbonation as to make it ungulpable but enough there to keep it afloat.

Overall. a kick butt beer!
I bought a 4 pack of 16oz cans for 3.20. Not that I'm trying to get ripped but mind you, 8.5% abv is something else on an empty stomach. After 1 of these after work. Felt nice.
To Colt 45... You rock! keep making good high gravity beer!

3.58/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Works every time? it sure does, at least for me. $2 for a 24oz 8.5% beer? I don't think you can get a better value. And you know what?; this beer is alot better than poor. in fact, anyone rating this beer poor or below average needs a reality check. It's actually better than average, and once again, better than tons of mediocre craft I've had. And the gorgeous 24oz can doesn't hurt.

Pale yellow decent head not my favorite look but it's ok. Nicely malted aroma, no off smells and very fresh. Big malt liquor taste, smooth and refreshing with plenty of flavor. Hop presence noted with hints of apple and pear. Easy drinking for a hot summer night.

Dropped my car off Monday night picked up my rental in the hood. Heading towards K&A (that would be Kensington and Allegheny, Philadelphia PA (where i grew up) knew I'd find a beer deli. Sure enough, there was B&G (or was it G&B?) walked in saw this 24 had to have one. Tasted it, grabbed 2 more. Gotta love the hood, hey, it's where I'm from. Will certainly get this again.

Last year i spent $75 on my Rare. Yes it was good but I'm sure was much better fresh. Spending that $75 was just fucking stupid, and a complete waste of money. This proves beer doesn't have to be expensive, or craft, just has to be good. This is Beer Advocate, not Craft Beer Advocate, after all.

Poured from a tallboy into a Pilsener-style sampler glass. I fill the glass, then put the tallboy back in the fridge. A moderate pour will produce about 3/4-1 inch head that billows over the top and proves pretty sticky, really. The beer is an extra-pale golden with a tinge of ruddiness and light to moderate carbonation.

You actually get some light floral hops on the nose, along with a bit o' corn mash. The taste is of light malt with salty cooked corn undertones, some caramelly sweetness and spicy, fruity alcohol. Sourness and salt in the aftertaste, balanced with some sweetness, and a little hoppy bitterness.

SOAP BOX: I wish people would stop referring to beer as "piss" or its synomyms- a common descriptor in the malt liquor reviews. ("Urine" is actually the worst- at least "piss" evokes the sound of the can being cracked). Please, please refrain from such crude verbiage. They who employ such crudities are truly a beer snob, but of the lowest order (and "snotty at that). Have you no class? No shame? Do you consider the fact, that some of us might actually be drinking and/or eating something whilst reviewing these often interesting, informative reviews?

Do us a favor- the next time you liken beer to urine, please also explain how the real mccoy tastes- we're all dying to know (not).

Anyhow, this beer, while not a gem of the brewing art, does indeed possess the normal characteristics that any sane person would regard as those of beer, no matter how low the perceived cultural associations.

4.4/5  rDev +49.2%

First of all I would like to say that I am not a fan of the regular colt 45 because doesn't seem to do the trick for me.

I tried this beer and expected it to be comparable with most high gravity beers.

I cracked open a can of this and drank it and man oh man I was amazed!!! This stuff tasted better than a lot of regular beers and tasted absolutely the best of any HG beer I have ever tasted.

This is my drink from now on. I will drink this because it is the best beer hands down. I wish it came in a glass bottle but for the price and at 8.5% the taste is amazing, everything about this is the best.

I drink a lot and have drunk everything and this stuff is absolutely the best. (PERIOD)

This is a new update (7/15/2015) I just have to say that something is a little different ever sense the new can they came out with a little while ago I am not sure why but I don't think the formula is the same not as good as it used to be however I will not decrease my ranking because still does the trick.

2.9/5  rDev -1.7%

Another "top ten" AML, currently sitting at #9 on the style list. Found this at a neighborhood bodega, surprisingly it's not all that easy to find around town. The black can is dated JUN1112" on the bottom, a possible production or best by date (assuming best by, considering the source).

Crack & glug, as ol' Woody says... pale urine gold with slow trails of carbonation rising upward. Copious amounts of foam, a good 3-4" on top, though it quickly fizzles out to a feeble broken skim on the surface. Second pour was 1" with a creamy surface texture. Some spotty lace clings inside the glass.

Smells ok, not bad not good. Believe me i've whiffed worse. Pretty tame, grainy and dry, no trace of the alcohol yet.

Tastes pretty nondescript, like white wine and cereal grains. The alcohol is present as it warms, and not all that pleasant. Slightly fusely but not too astringent really. The first sips deaden the tongue a bit, and the low carbonation gives it a certain slickness. Pretty drinkable considering the style, actually drinking it as opposed to dumping it.

Is it bad? Not really. Wouldn't seek it out, and I think there are better tasting budget options out there like Hurricane and Natty Daddy.

1.58/5  rDev -46.4%

24oz can poured into an old jar (I thought it was the most appropriate glassware for this style. A paper bag could have worked nicely.)

A: Champagne-like creamy clear yellow. Heavy carbonation bubbles. Soapy white head falls most of the way but hangs around. Lace coats the entire glass.

S: Like a bowl of rice krispies swimming in cheap vodka.

T: Actually, there is some intrigue here. This is very unexpected. If it were a little sweeter, I might be convinced I'm drinking a hard cider. As it is, the flavor is harsh, boozy, anf lacking dimension. Rice, Red Bull, apple peel...

M: Alcohol warms and cuts through all texture. Heavy carbonation. Overly dry.

D: Really?

1.9/5  rDev -35.6%

This beer is light gold in its appearance, with a soapy head that doesn't stick around.

The aroma is mainly straight-forward alcohol, balanced with sweetness, corn & generalized graininess.

The taste is a big punch of alcohol, and alcoholic bitterness, with no hops and very little grain/malt presence. Then the aftertaste leaves a slight trace of barley malt. To be quite frank, it has sort of a wine aspect to it.

It's clean, crisp, super dry, and very carbonated.

Overall, it's just too alcoholic for my preference for beer. I don't mind the alcohol taste at all, but it's almost just that, and no beer aspects whatsoever. There is no skunkiness or fowl aromas or tastes to it, but it's just too unbalanced for me.

2.11/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured into my Wolverine pint glass. Awesome. Pours a clear golden straw color with a cap of white head that fizzles away almost as soon as it forms.

This has your run of the mill sweet corn smell. Just as I expected, nothing more to it just sweet corn. The flavor is a lot like the aroma. Sweet corn with a little bit of rubber thrown in to the mix. The alcohol isn't shy here either, it makes a strong burning presence.

The feel is light and the carbonation is a little low. Overall this serves a purpose, but not really much of one for me.

4.22/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Smells de-lish. I smell a strong corn scent and some cheap malt. It almost smells like an Olde English, but not as strong. I can't wait to take a taste of this stuff.
The appearance is bright gold that is completely transparent. It's got a little bit of that glow that many high gravity lagers seem to have. I'm not sure what causes it, but I'm hoping radioactivity plays only a small role. The head is thick and frothy, leaving an impressively appealing lacing.

In a previous review, I thought that the taste had obvious fusel alcohol and only a mild sweetness. I don't know if the brew changed or my taste buds changed, but I taste that no longer. This is a very sweet beer, with corn up front, like an Olde English on steroids. There's not much hops to balance out the sweetness. There's not a lot of fusel alcohol profile compared to some high gravities. Overall, I'd say this is a damn good high gravity lager. Heavy on the sweetness, but if you're into that, it's a good way to go. Give it a try, malt liquor fans. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

3.45/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Golden beer with a thick, foamy head that dissipates quickly. Smells very sweet and of fermented fruit. Tangy fermented fruit flavor as well, with some burnt grain aftertaste. Pretty drinkable for a malt liquor, especially a higher ABV variety. No musty, offensive flavors present.

3.17/5  rDev +7.5%

Heading back home from Columbia needed to get gas, and spot this 24oz in the store. I like regular Colt (seriously. For the category I'd only rank it behind Steel Reserve), figured why not?

Pours clear yellow, humongous white thicker-than-expected (resembles biscuit dough) head. Bubbling below the head vanishes. Sharp apple-ish smell, plus a whiff of the usual corn -- it is a malt liquor, after all. Hint of booze on the scent but not as much as I expected. Taste continues the theme, with a bit of melon in there somehow.

Honestly, this reminds of a low-budget barleywine minus the hop strength. It goes down thicker than usual for a malt liquor, as if some wheat was involved. Only point I'd specifically ding for mouthfeel is being too far on the flat side.

For the most part, the best you can say about a malt liquor is if it's close to a traditional beer taste and feel -- "this doesn't taste like a malt liquor" is a high mark, in other words. Well...this comes oddly close to not tasting like a malt liquor. High gravity Colt is within inches of bumping SR off its throne.

2.65/5  rDev -10.2%

A- No head, no lacing, yellow corn body with a lot of carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the glass.

S- Some malt, and a lot of alcohol smell no hops.

T- A lot of alcohol tastes and some malt. The alcohol overrides all the tastes.

M- Very watery.

D- The alcohol taste killed it for me.

O- Better then expected, did not expect much for only paying $1.50 for a 24oz can.

3.41/5  rDev +15.6%

Crack and a pour results in a rocky, off-white head of good duration -- better than adequate lacing is also present.

Golden-amber in color, reminds me of a Maerzen. Combined with the head and lace, the appearance is the most impressive aspect of of this brew.

Nose is, eh, pretty average: sweet, funky cat-piss and fusel alcohol, but nothing too out there -- no "off aroma", here.

Sweet, almost too-sweet, but a touch of bitterness creeps in here toward the end of the palate. Malty (duh), and with fewer off-notes than I was expecting -- actually pretty clean drinking altogether.

Both mouthfeel and drinkability are better than average for the style, hmm, something funny going on here . . .

Overall impression: this is a solid, good-drinking malt liquor at 8.5%, and *way* better than I was expecting. For $1.99 a can I have a new go-to boozer! Has the mighty 211 met its match?

3.61/5  rDev +22.4%

poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass

definite alcohol smell with hint or cereal grain

deep golden, almost amber color. thick long-lived head with lots of lacing

sweet taste, but you can really taste the alcohol in this 8.5 abv brew

flows down smooth, could drink a few of these in a session, but there are better cheap macros. too bad they don't make 40's of these, as a 40 could make you feel good quick.

1.96/5  rDev -33.6%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Beer #9 during Swill Tour 2010. Somehow this one came out rather short and to-the-point. It looks just as pale yellow as pretty much everything else today, with the same kind of ADD froth on top. The nose is soapy, with a hint of burning flowers. The taste is of calcified rice syrup. The body is overtly light, with a hint of heft, a light carbonation, and a sweetly stale feel. Nothing else to say for something so crappy.

2.22/5  rDev -24.7%

Served in a pint glass

Drink #10 for the Swill Fest 2010...good lord

The appearance is of a golden clear color with a light lacy head. The aroma is of not much other than a slight corn syrup and malty sugar on the back. The taste is of alcohol most prominently. The flavors are of corn syrup and indigestion...caused by the thick alcohol. There is almost an effervescent flavor that is countered by the extreme syrup flavor. This shouldn't have a medium body, but it does. The drinkability is lacking. I don't like this...at all. Some malt liquors are drinkable, this one...not so much.

2.73/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of mild malts and alcohol. Taste is alcohol with some hints of malts. Not terrible but a tad unpleasant. Feels light in the mouth and is slightly below average drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre beer.

2.81/5  rDev -4.7%

From the 710 ml. can marked OCT0410-D07021828. Sampled on Aug. 23, 2010. It pours a bright pale yellow with a good inch of fizzy white head that stays around for the entire time along with decent lacing on the glass. Malts, corn, and other adjuncts greet the nose with, dare I say it, a thin hoppiness around the edges. The taste is mainly grains and malts with a light hoppy bite at the end. But the 8.5% ABV is reasonably masked. But your head reminds you that it is there when all is said and done. This is very much like any macro high gravity malt liquor. Tons of punch but little in the way of character or taste.

3.15/5  rDev +6.8%

made sure i froze it an extra 20 min after refrigeration, drink fast and cold. 16 oz can that was dirt cheap.

Pours a bit deeper gold, though still crystal clear than a regular colt 45, the head is again bright white and foamy, it sticks a bit longer than the average malt liquor and leaves tom okay lacing, which is odd because it is higher alcohol than the regular, thank god for additives.

The smell is better here than normal colt, even more of the corn smell is gone, it has a fruitiness to it, slight adjunct feel, dare i say even a hint of yeasty smell.

When cold it tastes alright, bread, caramel, apple cider, hint of walnut, more corn than a regular colt imo though. More gravity inevitably means more corn unfortunately.

The colt 45 beers are probably the best adjunct lagers, but then again, only if your in a pinch would i recommend this.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast