McSorley's Irish Style Lager | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2002

View: Beers
Reviews by chilidog:
3.36/5  rDev +25.4%

Its not the greatest brew out there, but for me, I found a regular.You see, I found this on the day & in the town we bought a new ATV. The bottle happens to be the same color, light tan, exact match. The beer pours, to me, a copper-orange color. Not to dark for a red. Pin head size carbonation bubbles form a one inch head that fades to a thin but covering film. Lace is very good. Surprised by its stick and duration all glass long. The aroma is macro-like with spice. Taste is a lite, even balance of not much malt or hop.The body is thin which in turn waters the taste abit. A crisp aftertaste leaves the mouth a hint of dry. I'll pick thisone up again everytime I take in or go to the ATV store. When we ride, afterwords, "McSorley's for all, Cheers!!!

2.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Had it at the Anchor Bar with the famous wings,I had never heard of it wish I never tasted it.Average appearance,but pungent smell.Real thin in my opinion,thought a amber would go real well with my wings but I was wrong.Had some sweetness but real bland.When Iam there again I will remember not to get this one

Not bad but certainly not what I was hoping for, A easy drinking beer, not very hoppy or bitter. Would make a good beer at a BBQ for macro drinkers who pretend to drink craft beers, Hope that their other products taste better, Bit disapointed.

Bottle says its brewery is based in WI yet on BA its listed in

2.59/5  rDev -3.4%

I drank this at Coleman's in Syracuse. I'll be honest I did not know it was made by Pabst until I got on this site. It is a very plain beer but I honestly think that makes it drinkable. Maybe I am nuts. It has deep red body with some nice lace and head. There was not much for flavor there was only a very mild hop and malt taste but I would have to say they were both present. It had a sticky light mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. The aroma was nonexistent.

2.88/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer is so thoroughly average in every respect (except drinkability) that I almost wasn't going to review it. But then I looked it up just for kicks, and noticed that it's still awaiting 10 votes. So I'll throw in my two cents.

I grabbed a bottle out of a cooler at a St. Paddy's party, because I was intrigued by the presence of something other than Guinness and Harp's.

Now admittedly, it was probably a bit too cold when I first started drinking it, but even so, it just smelled and tasted like beer. Just think of the most basic, bog-standard lager imaginable, and that's what it was like. There was some mild hop presence on the finish, but nothing remarkable.

After searching for awhile, and as the beer warmed up a bit in my hand as I was sitting around the fire, I began to notice a malty sweetness, and some very faint diacetyl notes. Again, nothing new.

Mouthfeel is completely standard for this style, nothing to write home about.

All in all, it's fairly similar to Red Stripe, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's quite sessionable, but sadly doesn't have a lot going on in the flavor/smell department.

I try pretty hard not to trash beers, so let me just say that while I wouldn't go out of my way to have another, if I were out camping somewhere and someone offered me one, I wouldn't turn it down.

2.34/5  rDev -12.7%

The label basically says that the McSorley's people needed a lighter (aka more watery) beer to appease their fans(?), so they dished out something that fits smack-dab into the macrobrew category. Outside of its pleasing color, this beer resembles more of a AB or Coors product in taste.

As mentioned, McSorley's Lager pours a very nice clear dark-gold color. The white foam head is slightly on the thin side and disappears quickly. The smell is of some light grains, malt (some caramel malt as well) and a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel, while watery, is a bit more smooth than your standard macro. The initial taste is of some sweet grains and malt (a little buttery, perhaps), but after that the wateriness of this beer becomes evident. Some light grain sweetness is about all this has going for it, with some hop bitterness in the finish. The aftertaste is clean for the most part with some lingering graininess and dryness. This beer has a tiny bit of alcoholic warmth to finish it off, but not much.

To summarize, this is quite boring. It isn't too heavily flawed, but the water-factor makes it a notch below the rest. Easy to drink and has a pleasing gold color, but outside of that, just boring.

3.1/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a reddish copper with off white head. Aroma is slightly sweet, nodescript. It looks like your basic irish red (ie killians). Taste is somewhat sweet up front with a slight hop bite in the end. A little metalic, pretty straightforward, no complexity. Similar to the Smithwicks we get here in the US. Mouthfeel is fairly thin. Drinkable if you're at a bar and this is what they've got. I think this stuff is contract brewed by Miller, though I'm not certain. Unless you are actually at McSorleys in NYC, I'd leave this one alone.

1.18/5  rDev -56%

I bought this beer cause i never saw it before and decided to give it a try. I will NEVER buy this again!!!! This beer lacks any malt flavor, hops, body, mouthfeel but is full of the ringwood yeast flavor. It has a thin white head that does last for a while and a crystal clear amber colorJust awful.

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

This is probably the weakest beer in the McSorleys line. It pours out a light amber colour with a very small head. It smells of spices, malts, and hops. It tastes very bland...there is no distinguishing flavor in this beer to me. The mouthfeel is very thin on this beer,. but the drinkability is still good.

McSorley's Irish Style Lager from Pabst Brewing Company