Master Polotmavý | Pivovar Velké Popovice a.s.

Liked This Beer
3.6 w/ 7 ratings

Pivovar Velké Popovice a.s.
Czech Republic

Reviews by GhostPants:
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

2.94/5  rDev -18.3%

(From my notebook, since I tried it last summer at "U Sadu" in Prague)

Appearance: Master Polotmavý poured into a Master-goblet gives us a copper-to-amber colour along with a white and thick crown which diminishes slowly and leaves plenty of lacing on the aforementioned goblet.

Smell: Slightly fruity and flowery, peaches may be traced in the background (it's actually quite hard to make out what the different smells are because if the smokey environment as Ü Sadu, but hey - when in Czech Republic, do like the Czechs!)

Taste: Strongly acidic at first, then I sense a certain bitterness that I just cant seem to place, pretty interesting! (May have been a sign of inebriation - WHO KNOWS?! (Wouuh, spookey!))

Mouthfeel: Medium full, carbonation is quite low other than that pretty coarse.

Drinkability: Pretty easy to down, and rather pleasant throughout the whole experience, Master Polotmavý's definitely got some potential in there, I'll have to try it again some time!

This ones actually considered a "semi-dark lager" so if anyone feels that I've mis-categorized feel free to correct my previous mistake!

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%

Polotmavy translates to "half-dark" in Czech. I'm not sure if this actually classifies as a Euro Dark Lager, but I'm not sure what else to call it. Maybe a Bock or something along those lines.

Poured from the 330mL brown glass bottle into a large pint glass in Prague.

A: The beer is an almost pure dark orange color with some reddish brown hues as well in there. Head reached 3 fingers and was off white with good retention.

S: Fruity notes fleeting in and out of a malty backdrop. Some butterscotch and caramel in there. Fruit note was strange, like peach or apricot. Unique but very nice.

T: Introduction is slightly malty with a bit of butter and bread. Almost none of the fruit found in the nose shows up here, which might be a good thing. Finishes with a nice smooth caramel note.

M and F: Nice and smooth with a very drinkable quality to it. I'm not sure that I would want a bunch of these in a row, but a couple would make a good little session.

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Master Polotmavý from Pivovar Velké Popovice a.s.
Beer rating: 0 out of 100 with 7 ratings