Belgian White Ale | Trinity Brewhouse

Style: Belgian Witbier

Added by vitesse on 08-14-2003

Reviews by RunawayJim:
3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

Not being a huge fan of Belgian White Ales (which happens to be what this beer is called now apparently), I decided to take another try since the last time I had one was a couple years ago and it was the Sam Adams out of a bottle.

On tap poured into a pint glass. When the waitress brought it over, the head had almost completely disappeared, and by the time I picked it up for a taste, it was gone (my friend who ordered the same thing had a bit more head than mine). It was an average amber color with little to no carbonation.

It had almost no smell, but very average in scent. The description on the menu said it was brewed with orange peel and coriander, but I smelled nothing of the sort.

The taste was very much like a lager rather than an ale. At first I would have sworn I ordered a lager. As I got about halfway, I was able to make out some of the orange and spices that they listed in the description. It only got better as I drank it down. It was almost sweet in taste with practically no bitterness.

The lack of carbonation caught me off guard. It felt almost foamy or frothy in my mouth, but I wasn't drinking the foam. It went down nice and easy though.

I'd say it's a drinkable beer, but nothing special. I don't think I'd order one again this season, maybe next batch.

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

On-tap 5/8/08 at the brewpub, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy orange/gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, spice, citrus, Belgian yeast, light malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts with bready flavors of wheat & Belgian yeast and sweet flavors of oranges and coriander up front. Then a decent hops presence provides some balance. The malt character is light but still hearty enough to bring some substance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, light-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is very clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, mild kick, very good representation of style. Although I didn't catch any of the previous batches of this beer, it seems to me, judging by the previous reviews that they have improved it. This is a good lighter beer to drink for a long time.

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%

finally tried the trinity wit on tap.
the appearance just wasn't quite what i expected. not cloudy and whitish enough. flavor was very citric with slight clove/banana taste. pretty nicely balanced belgian wit in terms of flavor. nice thin mouthfeel. very very drinkable. great for hot weather. very wide appeal with this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Odd appearance. Made me think more of a Belgian pale ale than a witbier because it was so clear. Poured very pale gold and clear. Very thin head that receded completely. Aroma was completely ordinary--slightly malty and hoppy, not much else. Flavor was surprsingly hoppy for the style. While the malts were present, they were not brought out enough to provide all that much of a balance to the beer. Mouthfeel was medium body, but with that odd Trinity water-tanginess going on. Fine enough to drink, but nothing to go looking for. Now called simply Belgian White Ale.

Belgian White Ale from Trinity Brewhouse