ALT Brown

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
heygeebee from Australia

3.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reviewing this after a Big Beer - probably not ideal.
However, I have to say it's to style, US rather than English brown, malty, nutty, caramel.
Easy drinking, solid if not spectacular. Which isn't how it was brewed anyhow.

Sep 24, 2016
doktorhops from Australia

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

Here’s yet another new brewery: Balter from Currumbin on the Gold Coast (Queensland, Australia) founded by Mick Fanning and a bunch of other surfers (whose names escape me simply for the fact that they haven’t been in punch-ups with sharks). Plus their XPA, which I tried while out one night, tasted suspiciously like Stone & Wood Pacific Ale - turns out Balter’s head brewer worked for Stone & Wood, so there you go: Never question my tastebuds people! In any case a good Brown Ale always goes down a treat with me so I thought I would give this a shot - let’s see if Balter ALT Brown can live up to the overhype of its XPA sibling.

Poured from a 375ml [I for one am liking this trend of 375ml cans coming back] can into a Sierra Nevada US pint glass.

A: It’s brown... that’s a good start for a Brown Ale - I generally like my Brown Ales brown. Hazed Russett (which is a type of brown) body with a cream-coloured 1 centimetre head that drops down to a thin lace covering. 7/10.

S: Clean toasted malts provide a decent base with nutty overtones and a light grainy character that lingers throughout. There is a touch of caramel sweetness in there as well. Pretty standard Brown Ale characters, nothing outstanding here, just a simple laidback brown - which I guess is what the brewer/owners (being surfy types) were looking for... still, I wouldn’t mind something a bit more: “KAPOW!”. 6/10.

T: Toasted malts a plenty with nutty tones, caramel sweetness and a slight dry finish. Again its biggest negative to me is the “Wow!” factor - this beer doesn’t have it for me, and not all beers do - it’s just the only thing I find lacking with this brew: Flavour intensity. Fine if old Mick and his surfy mates want to sit back and chill with a beer after a hard slog surfing and escaping shark attacks, but not so great for yours truly: IZE NEEDZ THA FLAYVA! 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a nice light/tight carbonation. 7/10.

D: Not bad, not great, just middle-of-the-road craft brew - no major flaws but nothing really compelling to bring me back to it - it’s on that arm-length list of brews that I wouldn’t turn down if offered but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get it again. Which is a shame because it had all the elements in place to be a great beer but it’s just far too laidback and surfy for my tastes... dude. 6/10.

Flayva match brah: Like dude, spliffs and other surfy stuff aiight... cowabunga burgers for when we get the munchies... then like packets of munchies for our munchies brah.

Aug 12, 2016
ALT Brown from Balter Brewing Co.