Hofbräu Dunkel | Hofbräuhaus Newport

Hofbräuhaus Newport
Kentucky, United States
hofbrauhausnewport.com

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Our dark lager. It has a light body, is easy to drink, with simple roasted malt flavor and slight caramel undertones.

Added by cerevisiaephilus on 04-05-2004

Liked:
3.92/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.24/5  rDev -17.3%

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%

Beautiful dark, rich, malty taste. Medium weight, not too thick, and medium spicyness. Had a great feel and the smell was just as good as its taste. The head was nice and thick, and cream in color. Light caramel and chocalote notes. Only been sampling beers for about 2yrs avidly, and can say this this was one of my very favorites.

On my way home, I boarded the wrong train, dumping me off at a "Bavarian Chef" who gladly served me a 1L mug of this beer.

Currently enjoying a 1/2 Keg of it at home (along with "ALL" ugh, of my friends). Thats how impressed I was! It is still as delicious as ever. Deserves recognition.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.88/5  rDev -1%

A: Pours a dark, clear brown with a foamy, clinging off-white head.

S: Aromas of roasted grain, dark chocolate, and heavy cream are most prominent on the nose. I've had this beer before, and this time, the nose seemed a bit weaker than usual.

T: Notes of coffee, dark chocolate, brown butter, heavy cream, and roasted grain are balanced by earthy, grassy hop notes that gradually build in intensity. The finish is rich and flavorful with a combination of dark chocolate, cream, and grassy hop flavors.

M: Medium in body and dry, though very smooth for a lager. Carbonation is crisp. This one is very refreshing and drinkable. It would make a great session beer.

O: Even though the nose seemed a bit off, a round of this lager was still a very nice way to ring in the new year. I recommend it with mettwurst and spatzl.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Review is from notes taken about a week ago (1/25/09). Served in a liter glass stein, the beer poured a brown/red color with not much head by the time the beer got to me (I was with a few other friends who all had beers too). Lacing was OK. The aroma was mostly malty, it smelled like caramel, toasted malt and a bit of spice. Taste is the same as the aroma, in this case that was a good thing! Mouthfeel/body was light/medium, and was a bit creamy. Drinkability was very good, it was extremely easy to drink, smooth and quite sessionable. My friends and I all liked this beer a lot! All in all I thought it was a good brew, and I'd likely buy one again on my next trip to the Newport Hofbrauhaus. Recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: Came to me in a 1/2 liter stein. A nice deep red/coppery color; 1 finger head that vanished quickly.

Smell: Sweet and malty, a bit of hoppiness to it. Couldn't quite place my finger on what the sweetness was exactly until I tasted it.

Taste: Wow. Very sweet, and I would say strong hints of banana in it. A nice carmel undertone with a slight hoppiness buried in there somewhere.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and smooth. Went down easy... too easy. Left the palate dry afterwards.

Drinkability: Very high. I really liked the sweetness of it. I've been doing a lot of IPAs lately so this was a pleasant change up. It wasn't heavy at all and the ABV isn't too high either so it's pretty easy to go through these.

3.76/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a good-looking dunkel, with a tannish 2-inch head atop a deep caramel body. It sports a slight caramel nose, with a touch of caramel and a slight smokiness on the palate. A smooth malty finish is blended with the sparkle of what I think is a bit too much carbonation for a dunkel. But, this makes it refreshing in the hot summer weather, and this is more drinkable than most dunkels. I quaffed a full liter, and don't regret it.

3.91/5  rDev -0.3%

Beautiful off-black color on the pour. Decent lacing and head down the glass. Nice malts!! Good blend of munich malts, caramel, and some chocolate/coffee. A few hops in there too. Almost like a baby brother to the Maibock, which is one of my favorite brews ever. Nice offering I will be checking out again.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast