Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Condor Pilsner | The Brewhouse

Style: German Pilsener

Added by JayTheFinn on 06-24-2006

Reviews by JayTheFinn:
3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Pale yellow body. Smells of banana. Tastes of banana as well. A little sweet, just a little. Very smooth flavor and texture. Light background hops blend well with the overall flavor. Ligth mouthfeel in the best way possible. Supremely drinkable with it's smoothness and balance of flavors. Pete's created a tasty number here.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%

Draft at brewery, 02/18/08. 5.1% ABV.

Unfiltered: a hazy golden hue. No carbonation to speak of; the only one of my batch of tasters with no foam left after a couple of minutes. Aroma is spicy: cloves and black pepper. Main flavor is what macro lagers are aiming for (a bit of sweet graininess), but there's a bit of spiciness (coriander?) and a hint of bitterness before a generally clean finish.

One of the better pilseners I've had, period.

3.11/5  rDev -15.3%

On-tap at the Brewhouse

The pour is a clear golden color with a white head. Nose is sweet with a fair amount of adjunct character. It's got some table sugar, corn/corn syrup, and a light bread note. Minimal hop aromas, just a touch of grass. The flavor is similarly sweet. Lots of sugar and corn notes, a touch of apple juice and fruit esters to it as well. Light bread/malt character and very faint hops. No real perceivable bitterness.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

I go to the Brewhoue in S.B. as often as I visit the town, which, fortunately, is many times per year. If I lived there, I'd practically live in the Brewhouse...splitting my time between there and the Islands taproom in Carp. When I do go to the Brewhouse, I get as many of their big, complex specialty brews as I reasonably can and still walk. St. Barb's Tripel is downright delicious. When I leave, however, I take my growler full of Condor Pilsener. It's the most straight-laced of all their beers, with a crisp, smooth flavor solidly punctuated by a generous helping of hops. This is a perfect everyday beer. It takes me a couple of days to get through the growler ( I savor it, ok? It doesn't go stale if I'm careful.). I guess thi review is more about the place than the beer, but then this beer stands as a testament to the brewer's conscientiousness, producing a product with mass appeal with just as much care and attention to quality as the beers that let the brewer take more creative license.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Draught at the brewpub. This one has eluded me for some time. A pretty nice pils/export with good balance and drinkability. It is a bright gold color with a small amount of lasting foam, though they don't pour much of a head in their pint glasses. The aroma is pretty closed to start, probably owing to the low serving temp, but opens as the beer warms, exhibiting sweet bread a spicy noble hops. It never becomes very pronounced, but is quite pleasant. The flavor is a mix of clean bready malts and a hoppy, lightly mineral and medium bitter finish. Balance remains fairly equal, with the bitterness nicely cleaning up the finish and making the beer quite refreshing, but never really stepping on the malt. The body is light and just a little too watery, though not far off for the style. Mellow, but well done.

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%

Pale yellow, thin white head soon thins to a thin ring then nothing and no lace.

Aroma is pleasant, full grain and apple, hint of grass. It’s simple but firm and nice.

Taste is nice, light grain, apple, zesty lemon hint, finish of toasty cracker – like a good US lager with firm and strong, if simple, flavour. It’s very enjoyable.

Condor Pilsner from The Brewhouse