Brewer's Special Saaz

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Brewer's Special SaazBrewer's Special Saaz
Notes: This special Czech style Pilsner is near and dear to our brewer Aaron's heart. Having honed his craft over hundreds of repeat batches of Pilsner it can be hard to let a great thing go! So no, this is not a batch of his famous pilsner, this is a batch of Pilsner with flaked barley, Bohemian Pilsner along with Saaz and Polaris hops. Floral and peppery, the perfect beer for warmer days!
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 8 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

9/9/19 canning featuring Polaris and Saaz hops, pilsener malts, Carafoam, and chit malt, and Old World lager yeast... Murky medium gold, particulate haze throughout... Lots of hearty grains and bright floral notes, with mildly sweet fruit, grain and yeast, and a mild bitterness, earthy and rustic... Medium-light-bodied, amply carbonated... A real cool representation of the style with a classic character...

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I am CANtinuing my foray into Happy Loads of New (Mainly) Lager Beers Sunday (Week 718), But What Now/Next?!? with another entry for The CANQuest (tm). This may become a regular thing on Sundays … This CAN was another that was shipped to me by Tavour before we broke off our relationship.

From the CAN: "Bohemian Pilsner"; "Drink Matchless Beer"; "HOPS: Polaris, Saaz MALT: Bohemian Pilsner, Flaked Barley, Carafoam YEAST: Que Bueno DESCRIPTORS: Guest Brewer: Lucie Holečková, Crispy."; "Store cold. Contains no fruit."

Having Crack!ed open this latest 16-fl. oz. CAN, I proceeded with a slow, gentle Glug into the C-Line of the glass. I was pleasantly surprised as it raised up to form three-plus (!) fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention, leaving beautiful lacing in its wake. Color was an equally beautiful, although oh-so-slightly-hazy, Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). I again found myself wondering if this was chill haze due to the internal temperature of my reefer. I make no apologies as I do use it for food, also (occasionally). Nose had the lovely spicy, grassy, hay-like aroma of Saaz & now, my mouth was watering! Drool. Mouthfeel was medium, solid for a Lager. The taste was exactly what I like in/from the style - a light spiciness with notes of freshly-mown grass & hay with a lemony citrusiness. Yum! I see that this is not a standard release from them, but I wish that it could be! It was apparently intended for Summer CANsumption, but it was no slouch on this cool Autumn day, either. Finish remained dry & spicy, right on the cutting edge of spicy dryness going into gasping dryness. I like the former, but the latter has me reaching for my asthma inhaler. This was a real winner!

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

Clear pale golden brew with piles of sticky foam in the tall IPA glass. Rather pungent aroma and more in the nose as you exhale. Resiny and flowery. The Saaz is helped out by another German hop, Polaris. Flavor is quite herbal, green, and tangy with an acidic touch.

Some malty sweetness adds to the pleasure and as it fades the bitter aftertaste takes over. It's like pollen and spruce tips in the mix. Still, fairly well balanced for such a flavorful and hoppy 4.6% beer. From the 16 oz can purchased at Elizabeth Station.

Brewer's Special Saaz from Matchless Brewing