Citrus Drop

Citrus DropCitrus Drop
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 9 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No lie, citrus zest zapped my nose the moment I popped the tab...

Good shit - lemony bright, but with depth and body of dark orange, with pineapple's rounding sweetness and grapefruit's cutting edge... Relatively juicy, big abv (13%!!!), featuring Lemondrop and Citra hops... The inclusion of lactose and flaked oats makes for a really full, plush feeling - "New England"-ish, "milkshake"-ish - smooth and creamy, "lightly frosted" citrusiness - this was an excellent take on a style that is otherwise becoming quickly played out for me... 1/29/19 canning...

Grab it...

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

New brand to me. 2019 16oz can poured cool hard to a tulip glass. Color is hazy, grapefruit juice color. Nose is subdued but citrusy. Some small fizzy head that disappears quickly. First sips are mellow, smooth grapefruit juice. No acid bite though. Mouthfeel is creamy, full... lactose, oat? After a little time you get some sediment, but swirls back easily. 13% drinks like a 6%. Goes down way too easy. I might want another. After warming, it stays pretty much the same as earlier, which is not very complex, but a good drinker. I can imagine hot weather would make 4 a night easy to do.

3.86/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I don't typically reach for IPAs but I thought I would give this one a try and I'm glad I did.

Poured yielded an opaque orange color and a head roughly the same height as the body. Another review mentioned little head with no lacing which was opposite of my experience.

Smell was pleasantly fruited with a hoppy aroma.

Taste. Much less hops than the nose which pleased me as I consider it well balanced. Minimal bitterness. Each sip (gulp) said that my nose deceived me as I expected bitterness which wasn't there but not missed by me.

Overall I may have to reassess my opinion of IPAs and see if I can find more gems like this one.

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours an opaque orangish-yellow with little head or lacing. Aroma of sweet citrus and tropical fruit. Flavor is very fruit-forward, with the apricot and vanilla prominent, and a hint of hop bitterness. The abv is pretty well hidden, except for a slightly warming finish. Overall, it’s certainly an interesting experiment.

Citrus Drop from Matchless Brewing