Sparta Pils | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Awaiting More Ratings
Sparta PilsSparta Pils

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 03-01-2005

1.42/5  rDev -54.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Pours a clear & yellow brew with a decent head. What can I say? Looks like a pilsner to me!

S: The smell's rather boring and unpretentious. There's a lot of wheats and malts. Some hop bitterness and all that but not nearly enough for a decent beer in this style in my opinion.

T: The taste, again, lacks bitterness. Malts aplenty in this one but there are some funky notes of wood & grass which -along with the dry-ish finish- bring some redeeming aspects to the taste of the brew.

M & D: The mouthfeel is excellent; creamy and smooth with a carbonation that's just right for the kind of stuff you're drinking. Hence, the drinkability is pretty good too. The real question is however: with an abundance of other stuff around, do you really want to be drinking this all night?

Conclusion: I'd rate this as being on par with Jupiler, which is okay in a style that doesn't hold much surprises or fun anyway. Now please excuse me while I head for my couch and grab a Rochefort 10.

When I poured it out, a very big head developed. And a strong hop scent was noticeable. The colour is very light gold with a lot of little CO bubbles running through. The odour was very pleasant and strong for a simple pilsner. Very rich sweet hop scent.
Strong carbonation in the mouth. Taste is creamy. In general a bit to sweet, but still well balanced hop and malt. Very fresh and crisp in the mouth.
Aftertaste is a bit dryer, but the taste is the same. Some citric elements.

A nice pilsner, I can remember it used to be more bitter. But anyhow, I prefer this one above most other pilsners.

Sparta Pils from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.