Patriot Porter | Liberty Steakhouse Brewery

Style: American Porter

Availability: Summer

Added by oberon on 07-09-2005

4.46/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

3.09/5  rDev -13.7%

I had this on tap at the Liberty Steakhouse near my hotel in High Point.

Served in a pint glass.

A: This had a BIG foamy head with tightly wound bubbles that resembled a nitro pour. The liquid was pitch black and the lacing was plentiful.

S: Very faint scent of dark malt (extract?) and Maxwell House coffee.

T: Even lighter than Guinness in terms of taste, but the aftertaste had a sort of buttery, bourbon-esque quality that definitely improved this one overall.

M: This was quite thin texture-wise, which was disappointing. I got a bit of bitterness, but I definitely wouldn't describe it as porter-esque BBQ char.

O: How does someone mess up a porter? Well, I almost tasted it.

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A dark black-brown color with a decent tan ring head and modest lacing. The aroma is straight forward charcoal with faint citrus overtones. The flavor is predominantly charcoal and lemon with a hint of milk chocolate. Nicely balanced in a medium bodied brew with moderate carbonation and a somewhat chalky, smooth feel. Easy drinking with a clear charcoal theme that is just sweetened enough by the chocolate idea to provide nice balance and potential sessioning if you like this style. Very nice.

2.84/5  rDev -20.7%

My second beer at Liberty, after the rather unimpressive IPA.

Pours a pitch black... once again, as with the IPA, absolutely no head. The bartenders at this establishment need to be instructed how to properly pour a brew.

Very little aroma at all, but at least I can pick up a small bit of roasted malt.

roasted malt taste, followed by a bitter, toasty flavour. If I typically saw this discription of a porter, I would think I would like it, however this one misses its mark.

Crisp mouthfeel... not thin, not thick, not what I'm looking for.

Moderately drinkable for a porter, but still vastly unimpressive.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

My first taste of this summer seasonal at Liberty,pours a deep brown with some ruby tint with a thin light brown head.Aromas are deeoply roasty with an underlying fruitiness mainly plum,flavors are quite fruity for a porter very nice with a nice roasted malt persona makes it well balanced and flavorful.The best of the offrings from Liberty,well made.

Patriot Porter from Liberty Steakhouse Brewery