Summer in Oz

SCORE
n/a
Notes:
2.5/5  rDev 0%

Listed as an “Aussie Style Ale”. Illegible ink blot on bottom of can, but bought straight from brewery gift shop on 12/8/18, so canned probably a bit before that. $16/4pk16ozers.

Golden body with healthy off-white head, looks great with the exception of the large yeast chunks towards the end of the pour. Smells of raspberries, crushed aspirin, and minerals, with a papery, biscuity backing. Flavor is tingly and medicinal throughout. Finishes thick but pretty balanced. “Downunder hops, honey malt” says the can. It is a “sparkling ale” that uses “orange-blossom honey” and has “notes of vanilla” says the Instagram post. I would expect more carbonation and a thinner body from a “sparkling ale”, but I A bit of caramel sweetness is there, but I wish it listed what hops were in here so I could avoid them in the future. To me it tastes similar to when too much Amarillo is used.

Not my cup of tea, mate. To be honest, for me this is what’s wrong with the recent brewery trend. $4/can for a one-off that may or may not have been through the test-batch phase.

Musical equivalent: Any throwaway AC/DC track near the end of the album.

Summer in Oz from Taproot Brewing Company