Berliner Weisse | Herkimer Pub & Brewery

Herkimer Pub & Brewery
Minnesota, United States
theherkimer.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by KarlHungus on 07-28-2007

4.02/5  rDev 0%

This beer is probably my alltime favorite from the Herkimer. It is served in separate glasses with the "neutral" white beer in one and then your choice of "mix-in" in the other. I ordered two since my wife and I were there together and since there were two "flavoring" options. There was a glass of raspberry and a glass of "woodruff" or apple that came on the side for combining in various strengths. I tried the neutral beer independent of the flavorings first and it had a mildly cloudy appearance. It was pretty white with no real head, but did have a nice rim of foam around the edge of the glass. The attack was mild, but did have a stong "grapey" or mildly citrus flavor. It would be decent on its own. The rapsberry was a nice complement in that it cut some of the bite that was present in the stand alone beer with the sweetness of the berries. The woodruff changed the flavor in a much more drastic way. The beer took on tones that were very similar to a hard cider, and it seemed to grow very complex with the initial flavors of the beer still floating around the glass and in the mouth. This beer was probably much more fun to drink than anything else. I HAVE to give it a 5 for drinkability because it totally allowed me to "geek out" on the drinking of it and it was gone before you knew it. The appearance is highly rated because when they bring out several glasses, its an impressive thing. The appearance of the beer itself was decent, but the presentation was tremendous and that is what appearance is really all about, isn't it? I don't know if you can still get this there or not, but if you can. . . you must. If anyone from Herkimer reads this. . .you should make it a permanent menu option. Its a lot of fun.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

The brew pours a cloudy pale orange color with almost no head. The aroma is of acidic citrus, with a lot of lemon, and nice sourness. The taste is a lot like the aroma but with a more noticable tartness. The mouthfeel is light bodied with very high carbonation. Overall, I really like all the funk of this beer. I will certainly drink this again.

Berliner Weisse from Herkimer Pub & Brewery