Obilix | Brouwerij 't Koelschip

brouwerijhetkoelschip.nl

Style: Eisbock

Added by TMoney2591 on 07-16-2012

1.85/5  rDev 0%

poured an amber orange like Wild Turkey completely flat with no head and a lacing similar to a good scotch or brandy.

Smells of complex fruits, we pick up candied figs and apples. A lot of sweetness. I definitely smell blackstrap molasses. Is this a beer or liquid fruitcake? Barrel aged. Bourbon or Brandy.

The Taste is waaaay over the top. It tastes like thin cough syrup. Boozy, sweet. My wife gagged from the over the top alcohol burn.

The mouthful is fruity and on fire from the alcohol.

The overall drinkability for me is low. If I want a scotch, ill pour a scotch. Too sweet and too boozy.

2.14/5  rDev 0%

Served in a Jackie O's shaker pint glass.

Alright, so we've had some Bourbon Cream already this evening, but we (and by "we" I probably really just mean "I") want a beer that trumps that tasty stuff in alcoholic content. (Now, this isn't really all that hard, considering it's only 30 proof, but still...) Howzabout somethin' that weighs in at 90 proof? Yup, three times the booze of Bourbon Cream. Get some. Down to business: We poured a very small amount into our glasses (couldn't have been much more than half a shot), showcasing a lovely clear amber that most amber ales would kill to have. No semblance of an appreciable head formed; hell, when the swingtop was popped, there wasn't any rush of CO2, no noise, just silent surprise from yours truly. A stiff whiff began something of a downward spiral, with loads of sweet booze tearing through my 'strils. Frankly, this stuff smells as though it should be marketed as a candi sugar-flavored vodka or something. Sickeningly sweet. Then we took the next step toward the abyss (or what would end up being the abyss, thanks to the beer that followed this one, but that's another story...) by actually imbibing the beer. Nothing from the smell was altered, save for maybe a stronger sense of fusel sweetness. It's a tad painful, mostly due to the extreme sweetness, and luckily burning only at the end, as things are progressing down my esophagus. The body is slightly gloopy, lightly hefty, with no real carbonation to speak of and a slightly syrupy feel. Overall, this stuff was quite the experience. Other interactions with high-alcohol brews have varied, mostly because they stayed true to their respective styles, at least to some degree: Tactical Nuclear Penguin maintained an imperial stout bearing in the face of it's 30+%, and Sink the Bismarck! still had quite the hop presence for a 40+%-er. This stuff, though, just comes across as a sweet, overly-boozy mess, not unlike a juiced-up version of Nogne's Sweet Horizon (I shudder from the memory of that excessive sweetness). Harsh, I gotta tell ya, but I feel like a better man having had this experience. Now onto something even stronger...

Obilix from Brouwerij 't Koelschip