Shake Weight Wheat | Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by StoutHunter on 03-29-2011

4/5  rDev 0%

4.2/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a growler of Shake Weight Wheat at Black Forest for $5. I had already got a growler of the imperial stout and was looking for something on the other end of the spectrum so I figured I would give this brew a try. Black forest claims "A refreshing wheat beer that displays a bit more hop character and less yeast character than its German cousins". Fresh from the brewery, Poured from a growler into a weizen glass.

A- Shake Weight Wheat pours a nice hazy golden yellow color with an orange tint. It had two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that left a slight amount of spotty lacing.

S- I pick up lots of wheat mixed in with some sweat malts. I pick up some spices, like some coriander and orange zest There is also a nice citrus hop aroma at the end.

T- The flavor starts out with all the wheat and sweet malt flavors I was expecting. The spices I picked up in the aroma also come out in the taste and blend really will with the malty and wheaty backbone. The citrus hops are a nice addition to this beer and work really well with the coriander and orange zest. As Black Forest stated this is more hop forward then most wheat beers but it works really well with this beer and is not overpowering.

M- Smooth, medium light bodied, and good carbonation.

Overall I would have to say that I liked this beer. I thought all the flavors were spot on and balanced perfectly. The citrus hops were a nice addition to this beer and helped set it apart from a lot of other beers in it's style. Shake Weight Wheat is a very drinkable brew and it would make an excellent springtime session beer, it has a lot of flavor for only being 4% I really liked this beer and would buy it again when I am in the mood for a session beer. Great job Black Forest.

Shake Weight Wheat from Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill