City Steam Dark Ale | City Steam Brewery Café

City Steam Brewery Café
Connecticut, United States
citysteam.biz

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

Our original brew! A smooth and easy drinking example of a northern English type of draft MILD BROWN ALE. It is brewed with a large portion of chocolate malts and a delicate touch of Fuggles hops. Although dark in color, it is sweet and balanced and will disappear from your glass quicker than a wisp of steam in the wind.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-15-2002

Reviews by sulldaddy:
4.29/5  rDev +23.3%

I picked up a growler on the way through Hartford the other day. Ron poured it himself and warned me that carbonation may be low. That is okay with me!
I open the cap with a large fizz! Seems carbonated so far!
I am pouring into an english pint glass.
The beer pours a dark chestnut with some garnet tints. Not much light passes through. There is a thin fizzy beige head that fades quickly to an edge layer of fine bubbles.
Aroma is rich and malty, I get some chocolate, and toffee with also a bit of brown sugar. None of these scents are over the top or bold, but all intertwine nicely. No real hop presence.
The first sip reveals a fairly lite body with VERY fine carbonation that tingles across my palate with each sip. Texture is silky and smooth and the beer slides down my throat effortlessly.
This is a very easy to drink beer, I could imagine drinking this all nite at the bar in Hartford. With the ABV low, you could close the place on this beer. Quite a nice brew that I wish was a more often seen style.

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Mahoganay colored with a thin, low, begie head. Aroma is not to be found. Initial flavor is mild with faint hops and mild malt, but a nice roasted malt rolls though the finish. Mouthfeel is crisp, and fine lacing graces the glass. Very drinkable, and more robust than is to be expected from a mild ale.

3.76/5  rDev +8%

Poured out of a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. Served cool.

A-light tan head and a clear caramel colored body

S-yeast, sweet, light floral hop

T-sweet toffee, light hop flavor balanced the beer nicely

M-medium

D-don't know why they retired this beer. I would have had this again. great session beer.

2.28/5  rDev -34.5%

It was too dark (in the Brew Ha Ha) to get a good look but the head didn't exist. Mine had no noticeable carbonation so it just felt funny. It had a lingering light tangy aftertaste but it was fine (but not special) on the tongue. I hear it has changed recently as the party I was with all found it poor.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured on-tap into a pint glass, it pours a dark chestnut color with a silky tannish head taht quickly subsides to a sustaining surface layer that stuck around for a few minutes.

Mostly some roasty malts along with some caramel. Some almonds come to mind also on the nose. Average at best really; standard.

Sipping reveals a large amount of almond flavor to go along with a sweet caramel and roasty malt flavor. Solid taste, but I was hoping for maybe more.

This brew shines here with nice balance between decent carbonation that tends to hit the back of your tongue as opposed to the tip, and not real prickly. Lighter body and easy to drink.

Overall, this is a great session brew taht I could drink all night. Not the best flavor or aroma, but a solid SOLID brew that I could hammer! Cheers!

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is a really dark brown, with no real carbonation to it at all. Pretty much devoid of a head. The aroma is a bit thin. Some maly sweetness, but that is about it. The flavor is also fairly thin for the style. Just a bit of bitterness in the end. Not bad, But I've had much better Milds.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%