Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Casta Oscura | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by tesguino on 12-13-2005

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 7
4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

A: With a dark amber color, medium head of foam, i like that the logo have a painting and describe it.

S: Fruity, some malt with nutty essence;

T: Malt again, coffee, toffee and caramel;

M: Bittersweet, robust body;

D: An excellent english pale ale made in Mexico.

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%

As was told, this is quite different form the original. I remember it sweeter, and the ammount of bubble sin your throat changes. Something is new with this, I do not know exactly what, maybe less caramel in the barley. I checked the bottle and it has a different ammount of alcohol. It is a shame FEMSA is doing this, apparently We all MExicans have to drink the same posion day after day in here.

Definitively Casta is not the beer that was, now is brewed by Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma.

This beer pours a brown copper color with a decent head and a small lacing; Smell is malty and fruity;Taste is malty; Mouthfeel is bitter; Drinkability is good.

Now this is the only Mexican ale brewed by a macrobrewery.

¡Salud!

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Mixed feelings here.

I can't avoid the memories when I had this Casta. That night when I came home and found a huge brown bag with four 4-packs of Casta ales sent to me by don Manuel Zambrano, partner of Especialidades Cerveceras, with a brief hand written message: I'll appreciate your honest opinion.

Triguera in a cristal clear bottle and unfiltered, not like the one that was later sold. My wifes favorite from the very beggining.

A Golden ale Dorada, which I thought was to be my favorite; Bruna, which really excited me 'cause pale ales were my beer choice of the time, and a Scottish ale Morena that really blew my mind.

How did I rooted for Casta. I ordered everywhere I ate; every bar I went; dragged several 4-packs to most parties I attended. Tried to lure friends and relatives to the ale world.

Apparently they didn't bite.

The Casta guys also made their share of wrong decisions.

And now, I have to review the only Mexican ale brewed by a macrobrewery.

Pours a deep brown copper, with a tan head and a small lacing. Not bad.

Smell is malty, lightly fruity and even has some hops in the back. Nothing impressive, but not bad

Taste is good, malty of course, somewhat thin though.

Mouthfeel has a lightly bitter end, piny. I guess it has some Northwestern hops, maybe Cascades.

Drinkability is good, not exceptional. And now that the prices has gone down a bit, probably I'll have it more often. And as I said before: It's the only Mexican ale brewed by a macrobrewery.

¡Salud!

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

a beer made now by Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma (CCM) in Monterrey, Mexico, with an almost imperceptible one improved flavor, fuity smell like malt flower and hops broiled; full bodied beer; taste clean wide and malty, deepy amber color, very atractive, good for the mexican cuisine, served in a pint glass; 85% recommended.

Casta Oscura from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.