Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Big Island Ginger Beer | Kona Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by drseamus on 01-15-2007

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 5
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

When I went to the brewery, they only had this beer available as a growler and not at the bar, so I went out on a limb and decided to get a growler. I poured it into a pint glass when I got back home to NY.

It has a slightly dark amber color and is a bit darker than I remember it being in Hawaii, so it could have changed in the belly of the plane. The taste is the same as Hawaii though, so it didn't change that.

You can definitely smell the ginger along with a slight malty aroma. The aroma is milder than I expected a ginger beer to be.

Ginger dominates the taste, but it is not a sweet ginger taste like I was expected. It is very dry and there is very little hop flavor.

The mouthfeel is pleasantly light although it would be a bit better if it was a bit sweeter.

Overall, this is a good beer. I wish I had more than a growler to drink now that I'm back in NY and 5000 miles away.

Big Island Ginger Beer from Kona Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.