Tripel Sec | Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

Style: Tripel

Added by akorsak on 12-04-2010

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
3.62/5  rDev n/a

Transcribed from notes dtd Sa, 04 Dec 2010. This was an IHPHXville offering at IHLNC that day.

A filmy, wispy head thanks to my pace that afternoon. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was an orange zest citrusiness as advertised. Mouthfeel was medium with a flavor of Mandarin orange on the tongue. It reminded me of the Orange in the Tropical Fruit Life Savers roll. It was a more intense flavor than simple candy, but that is what it reminded me of all the same. Along those lines, its sweetness was just overwhelming. I understood that they were striving to mimic Triple Sec liqueur, but the candy sweetness was really starting to bog me down. I chalked this up as another dessert beer or an aperitif, but not one to have on its own.

4.69/5  rDev n/a

A part of the winter warmers day. From the Phoenixville location, this is "[o]ur Belgian Tripel infused with the flavor and aroma of fresh orange peels."

A: The tripel is a hazy golden straw color, opaque with a white head that layers nicely around the glass.

S: The nose is fresh orange peel and lots of it. A vibrant aroma that is very sweet. My pick of the day, the aroma from this beer is through the roof. It just jumped into the upper echelon of my reviews.

T: The orange peel is fresh, as though it were just added to the tripel. The citrusy taste combines the misty bite of a freshly peeled orange with the tangy juice of a squeezed one. The tripel flavors are a fitting pairing, sweet but with alongside the fruit. The ale reminds me of orange sherbert and ginger ale. A delicious ale.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet and spritzy, a lively ale that relies on the orange addition to carry it. The good news is that it carries the beer like a pro.

D: I had my sampler and two glasses. A brilliant ale that far exceeded my expectations.

Tripel Sec from Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant