Ramstein Golden Lager (Unfiltered)
High Point Brewing Company

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by dasenebler:
dasenebler from Maine

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

This unfiltered version of the Golden Lager was on-tap at the brewery when I stopped in. Growler.

Pours a cloudy yellow-gold with a tight, frothy head that does not retain too well. Some lacing.

Aroma is nothing special; very grainy. Interestingly there was a hint of fruitiness, perhaps lemon or other citrus.

The flavor is quite light, but satisfying. There is a big grainy and bready malt presence coupled with a touch of noble hop earthiness. There is an interesting lemony, fruity flavor that reminds me of a wheat beer, oddly enough. Maybe it is coming from the yeast and sediment that would normally be filtered out in this brew. Either way I dig it. Mouthfeel was light, with medium-low carbonation.

This low abv lager is eminently drinkable. I like the added flavor that comes with the lack of filtering. I could see it being a great replacement for a macro lager.

Aug 20, 2010
Jacobier10 from New Jersey

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

32 oz growler from the brewery. 4.5% ABV.

Cloudy, straw colored brew that is hard to see your fingers on the other side of the glass. Medium sized, frothy, white head that settles quickly to a thin sticky layer.

The aroma took me by surprise. Very fruity, lots of citrus and lemon, with a strong funk/skunk to it. Sound weird for a Helles? Well, it is. But I found it oddly appealing. Tart flavor with fresh grainy malt and very light citrus hops. The tartness lasts a long time in your mouth, drying it out and begging for more sips. Medium bodied.

I was taken aback by this initially, but grew to enjoy it as I had more of it. It drinks like a tart kellerbier; something you'd find in the heart of Franconia. This unfiltered version is nothing like the regular filtered Helles. Glad I tried it, but I prefer the more subtle, classic Helles.

May 30, 2020