Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery
Illinois, United States
flossmoorstation.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

100% Amarillo hopped American I.P.A. aged in a Woodford Reserve Barrel, and then further dry hopped with more Amarillo.

Added by BEERchitect on 11-15-2005

4.29/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to d0b for keeping some of this growler for me to try. The growler is very old and it's been open for a while so obviously appearance and mouthfeel have suffered. Served in a pint glass.

A - There was a little foam in the growler but a negligible amount in my glass. Murky raisin brown color.

S - Still smells pretty good - lots of bourbon, caramel maltiness, wood, smoke, and surprisingly still a fair amount of hoppiness. This must have been a monster when it was fresh, but I guess I'll never know?

T - Tons of wood and whiskey mixed with caramel and toffee malts, and also some prune/raisin notes. This has turned into a really impressive barrel-aged barleywine - I never would have expected it used to be a double IPA.

M - Well - it's kind of flat, but otherwise it's pretty smooth and creamy. There's some residual stickiness as well. If it were still a hopped-IPA I'd be much harder on it, but in it's current state the lack of carbonation isn't so bothersome.

D - This is still pretty drinkable, even with the high ABV and the age on it. I didn't feel like I was drinking spoiled beer at all.

Wish I got to try this when it was fresh, but I don't even think I lived in Chicago when it was first made. C'est la vie!

4.8/5  rDev 0%

Maybe the best IPA I've ever had. Yea, it's that good. Enjoyed (a little too much) at the Festival of Barrel Aged Beer at the Goose Island Brewpub in Chicago. Aged in a whisky barrel for extra measure. Aromas are very IPAish with spiciness, alcohol, and malt balance that are greater than most. Flavors are extremely well balanced for a IIPA. Malts combined with woody, oaky, caramel, coconut, and vanilla flavors take the edges off of what would be an overly spicy IPA. The wisky barrel aging rounds the beer out extremely well. Moderately carbonated and very creamy and smooth to the mouth. Never astringent and no off flavors at all. Prononced alcohol agrees with the intensity of the style. Finishes sweet, bitter, and dry with the bitter lingering past the sweet and dry.

Ol' Woody from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery