Niagara Eisbock 2007

From:
Niagara Brewing Company

Ontario, Canada
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
View: Beers
markaberrant from Canada

2.81/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks to Pootz for sending this my way back in spring 07.

A - interesting colour, dark orange with no red or brown highlights to speak of. Clear, but plenty of yeast particles swirl amongst the ample carbonation. Good sized clingy off white head leaves a sheet of lace.

S - some bready aroma, but mainly basic sweet malt, maybe even a hint of DMS. Does not smell like an 8% beer should.

T - first sip, is a bit jarring. Expecting a rush of sweet malt, but instead it is more of a fizzy non-descript bland malt. Hop flavour is unpleasant. Finish is abrupt and mostly tasteless, save for an astrigent mild roast flavour.

M - carbonation has too much bite too it, which combines with the excessive alcohol notes to make it very harsh in the mouth and the back of the throat. I wouldn't call it watery, but definitely less than medium bodied. Gets a lot better once the carbonation subsides, it mellows out the beer and I can actually taste some ok malt character.

D - less than enjoyable, I doubt I'll be drinking the whole bottle

Where do I start? If I was to guess, this was slapped together with some cheap 2-row, a bit of roast barley for colour, and whatever hops were laying around. The 5.7% Sam Adams Octoberfest I sampled earlier this week had more and better maltiness than this. Aging seems to have done it no good, unless it was even worse upon release. Save for the packaging and bottle, it is completely unrefined in every way. Massively disappointing, even though other folks have been preparing me to be letdown. I still feel I'm being overly generous with my score...

Jan 20, 2008
pootz from Canada

3.43/5  rDev +9.9%

The least "eisbock-like" of all the NFB releases

750ml bottle

Pour puts a very light amber-copper lager in the glass with a decent 3 finger sticky rocky cap...decent sticky lacing...lightest color I have ever seen for this beer.

Aroma is more lager-bready and malty with less cocoa-roast smells..no hopsom the nose.

Not a very complex lager...nice malt rush in the front side but it hasn't the intense dried fruit or roast tastes or herbal woodiness one expects in an eisbock....finish is lager-like with some "off" tastes from poor yeast attenuation...I got a distinct "celery" taste in the finish...not NFB's finest hour.

Apr 22, 2007