My Antonia

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
My AntoniaMy Antonia
Notes: My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.
Reviews: 554 | Ratings: 1,779 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
mothmanscott from Georgia

3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From notes 10/31/11: Pours a slightly hazed gold with a thick lasting white head that leaves a modest coating of lace. Bready malt and crisp hop aroma. Nice balance of sweet bready malts and Noble hops; sweet middle, citrus finish with a bittersweet aftertaste.

Nov 20, 2019
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

Reviewed from notes. I poured this into a pilsener glass since it is considered an American Double/Imperial Pilsener. The appearance was a slightly hazy pale yellow with a two finger white foamy head that rises just a bit to mushroom cap just above the glass. She leaves some nice foamy thick lacing gracing the sides of the glass. The smell has a nice light spiciness adding to some pale malts. The taste was sweet and has a nice light spice to it. The aftertaste was spicy and sweet and leads to a dry finish. On the palate, it sits about a light to medium with a decent sessionability running about it. The carbonation is good for the style and good for me as its crisp and smooth. Overall, this is a great American Double/Imperial Pilsener well worth your time and well worthy to have again.

Jun 25, 2017
Crubbsy from Minnesota

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Look: Poured a beautiful hazy yellow. Nice big frothy head, tiny bubbles. very effervescent. almost looked like a hefeweizen. 4

Smell: Kind of a bready wheaty smell. getting a little bit of orange peel smell. 4

Taste: fairly malty, bready yeast, bitter finish. nice. 4

Mouthfeel: tiny bubbles and fairly full body (for the pils style) make this beer very smooth. 4.25

Overall: nice beer. smooth, tasty, and a great beer for spring or summer. 4

Apr 24, 2016
Craftncrazy from Colorado

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

A great beer. Tasted and mouth feel felt more like an ale than a Pilsner, also poured a bit cloudy. I enjoyed it anyway and would love to try it on draft. Italy (or Deleware) here I come.

Feb 24, 2016
stevoj from Idaho

4.34/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Happy Harry's in Bear, DE. One of my first exposurews to DFH beer. Yowza! A delicious strong pilsener. Beautiful on the pour, and wonderful on the palate. A gem!

Jan 19, 2016
EmperorBevis from England

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottled
Slightly hazy yellow body with big foamy white head
Sawdust and slight muted citrus aroma
Quite an unusual flavour very woody then pine
more an oddfish than a dogfish
really worth a try tho

Dec 25, 2015
dgmirelli from New York

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look was clean and depp yellow with great head and lacing, taste was clean and crisp, feel was strong and proper carbonation was applicable, was it a pilsner.....would need another to justify. do not see these readily available.

Dec 22, 2015
JMoney777 from Michigan

1.85/5  rDev -53.9%

Doesn't even taste like a pilsner, tastes like a pale ale with more body, and isn't really that interesting.

Seems like the folks who think this is a good pilsner are IPA fanboys, not people who like actual pilsners. This is not how a pilsner, even an imperial pilsner, ought to taste. The hops are totally wrong. The beer basically tastes like pure overpowering standard Dogfish Head hops, nothing else.

Disappointed. Should not have trusted IPA fanboys (poor taste) to review beer! Shame on me. I was hoping that since Dogfish 60 minute is a pretty good IPA this would be better, but this has more nasty overpowering unbalanced hop flavor than the 60 minute! It's not even an interesting mix of hops, it's not even floral in character. It's nasty. Agh! I think it's the West Coast hops, because Noble hops do not taste that disgusting.

I pray for the day when more craft brew drinkers grow taste buds and realize how disgusting over-hopped beers are. After the first few years, you ought to realize that bitter beers are bad. Not to mention that hops are estrogen-mimickers. Say hello to testicular cancer!

Down the drain she goes! I don't feel like getting a headache from this impure over-hopped swill.

Nov 22, 2015
BWood from California

4.09/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very surprised at this pilsner. As a stout fan I did not think I would like it as much as I did. Beautiful beer reminds me of a Belgian Tripel. Citrus smell with a nice smooth mouthfeel. Reminds me of a IPA but without the bite. Great beer.

Sep 23, 2015
JMUduke from Taiwan

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: hazy light gold, minimal lacing and head
Smell: piney hops and green olives
Taste: piney hops come through again, very delicious
Feel: superb mouthfeel!

Sep 15, 2015
SitkaSteve from Idaho

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a pilsner glass.
The appearance was a two finger's worth of foamy white head that intricately weaves light bubbles in the head. Lacing is sporadic and all over the place. The color is golden.
The smell has the sweet pilsner malts coming through slightly biscuity with mild citrusy tones. Light spices balance nicely.
The taste was sweet, semi-spicy with an underscore of "pilsner grassiness" that I tend to like in the style.
The mouthfeel sat about a light to medium on the body with a good sessionability about it. Carbonation runs fairly light.
Overall, my first ever Double/Imperial Pilsener, I liked it for me, but don't necessarily see the difference between this and a regular pilsener.

Aug 02, 2015
BobbyOlson from Michigan

3.14/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

As much as I love Dogfish Head brews (the 90 minute is my fave) the effervescence is overpowering to the taste. This is a decent tasting brew. It's just a tough drinking beer.

Jun 15, 2015
Myotus from Texas

4.16/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 11.1oz bottle into a pilser glass. Pours with 2 finger's worth of white foam that maitains. Plenty of bubbles. Golden in color, but very murky. Very strong, sweet pilsner malt aromas with mild citrusy hop and sugar and spice aromas. Initial taste is strong with both malt and citrus hop flavors and mild with sugar flavors. Spices enter shortly after creating a symphony of hop, malt, sugar, and brewed spice flavors. It's difficult to distinguish which one is more powerful. Malt and spice flavors evetually fade leaving a strong citrus with mild sugary notes aftertaste. Full-bodied, crisp, with mild carbonation. This is what a pilsner should taste like.

Jun 04, 2015
pat61 from Minnesota

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Hazy gold, 1 ½” fluffy white foam collar that grips the side of the glass producing thick lines of lace.
S: Light grains, citrus
T: Almost helles bock levels of malt balanced by rich, citrusy hops. The hops are smooth and not harsh - more citrus than citrus rind.
M: Smooth, creamy, medium body and carbonation.
O: A crisp, smooth, well balanced double pilsner.

Apr 05, 2015
TBCE from Florida

4.31/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Produces a nice, long lasting foamy head. Rustic, grape smell. Tastes of citrus and hops. Smooth finish. Great overall beer, different than most pilsner's that I've had. Very nice.

Mar 26, 2015
michiganmatt from California

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Appearance - 4.5/5
Two fingers of head which stays around for a long time. Orange-amber, a little clear, but quite hazy. A lot of carbonation can be seen rising up this beer. I really love the look of this beer. It's excellent.

Smell - 4/5
Grapes, hops, malts. Sort of a mellow-citrusy, rustic farmyard smell. Actually I don't really quite know how to describe what I'm smelling. For whatever reason a farmyard came to mind. Also, high-class Italian restaurant.

Taste - 3.75/5
Grapes, alcohol, sweet, slightly fruity malts, hop bitterness, a hint of citrus. I really like the grape aspect, it reminds me of DFH's Midas Touch. The rest of the taste is just okay. Not bad, not fantastic either. It's drinkable.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy, it just glides through your mouth a down your throat. It is a little bit bitter, but not enough to detract from the drinking experience. Carbonation is light.

Overall - 4/5
I have little experience with Pilsners is general, and so I didn't really know what to expect from this beer. I was a little worried it would be too hoppy due to the label saying "continuosly hopped". However I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. The hop taste was quite mild, and there was an interesting and unexpected grape flavor to the beer. This beer was good enough that I would consider buying it again.

Mar 22, 2015
trickynicky from Maryland

2.72/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I typically don't go for pilsners, but was willing to give this one a try due to it being an imperial. For me, it started off good, but something in the finish didn't sit well on my palette. I found this beer to be drinkable, but not enjoyable.

Feb 17, 2015
gopens44 from Virginia

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Taken from notes, as I had this one a few months back. Generally I enjoy double Pilsners and this one was no exception. My only dis on this is that it came across a touch hot in a medicinal kind of way, but that taste sunk in after the initial hop bittered grain taste. I was attracted to this beer after reading My Antonia, which I was turned onto after eating kolaches while in a Texan town strong in Czech influence.

Feb 02, 2015
TBoneJones from Texas

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a pilsner glass:
Gargantuan fluffy white head, sticks around and leaves scattered sticky lacing. Body is yellow-golden and ever do slightly hazy, with a crisp look as far as carbonation goes.
Smells sweet of corn bread, with grains and some far-away grass and citrus, some alcohol. Very nice.
Taste is like the nose, but with some lemongrass present, grain/ herbal hops, and it's a bite-finishing beer that has a super-smooth mouthfeel, without feeling well-carbonated. Spicy banana ester hints (in both nose and taste) after a short while Near-medicinal.
Intriguing, flavorful, fun to sip.
This had the most dominating creamy foam that stuck around each pour that I can ever recall. I'd recommend this to any imperial pilsner fan, even though the Italian version of this beer collaboration was somehow superior, as my memory recalls.

Dec 13, 2014
NSXAG from Arizona

Dogfish Head - My Antonia [A continually hopped imperial pilsner] (750ml ---> Dogfish Head Curved Pint Glass : 7.5% ABV)

Every other beer I've reviewed so far having been an ale, I felt it fitting when I finally got around to a Dogfish beer, that I'd choose their "lagerific" brew - as they put it... Pouring a orangeish/gold color, it quickly formed a 2.5 inch head made entirely of large bubbles that dissipated moderately quickly... It left behind a decent amount of lacing as the aroma of earthy/spicy hops rose from the hazy brew... On the nose is the drier malts integrated with the earthy hops, as well as a fair amount of green apple and traces of citrus hidden in there also... Upon tasting it, a spicy, yet still somewhat mellow bitterness hits your tongue, with the pilsner malt coming through on the second "wave..." It finishes strong in it's dry malty flavor, but the apples make a small cameo, popping up in the background from time to time as the beer makes a curtain call... The mouthfeel is actually fantastic, as it serves as a good balance to the style and serves as a good platform to host the flavors!! Overall I'm pleased to have indulged in trying this brew from Dogfish, as it is far from what was expected... I'm not the biggest fan of lagers, so this was slightly out of my comfort zone when I decided to try this beer, but I'm glad I proceeded with the gameplan as it worked out swimmingly... This brew was composed of enough "old-school" back bone to be able to host and compliment the "new-school" funk Dogfish head loves to apply to their concoctions!! Another good brew - Cheers!!

Nov 19, 2014
Levich from Massachusetts

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from 4/22/13 Poured into a Stella Artois glass.

Pours up a hazy golden color with a white head. The aroma is of honey and fruit with hints of biscuit. The flavor falls a bit short, probably a result of being rather old. There is a subtle bitterness which counters the sweet peachy notes. There are other fruity flavors as well like bitter orange and maybe pears as well. The mouthfeel is quite nice. There is a nice light crispness to this beer. Overall, I like this beer. It is crisp and refreshing. I need to try a fresher bottle to compare.

Oct 26, 2014
SebD from Canada (ON)

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/yellow color to it. It has a nice thick off-white head that dies down slowly and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of floral hops, bready/buiscuity malts, some citrus and faint honey.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some sweet bready/buiscuity malts, floral hops, a light grassy bitterness, light citrus/lemon and very faint honey.

Mouthfeel: It has a low-medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by good flavors and aromas. Very refreshing and drinkable.

Sep 05, 2014
safaricook from Netherlands

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got this at MOM's organic market in Herndon. Opened in my hotel room in the Crowne Plaza a few blocks away. Surprisingly, gushed on me, messed up the carpet a bit. Now to the review.

Very Murky yellow body with quite stable little yellowish white head. Head is creamy but looks a bit coarse. No bubbles visible

Nose is some pilsner malt, there is a whole lot hop aromas going on. There is some resin, noble spiciness and some fruitiness too, maybe pineapple

Taste starts a little sweet and is followed by resiny hops and bitterness, sweet pineapple again.

Drinks very smooth with little carbonation and the suspended yeast. Alcohol warms a bit.

I do not really know what to make of this. I expected a Pilsener but it is way too sweet for that. I think it is overly hopped but the hops are nice. It does not have the refreshing sharpness of a lager but it is smooth. The suspended yeast would make it a Zwickl still it is more an IPA than a lager. Do I like it? I am not even sure about that.

Jul 12, 2014
RyanPoff from Tennessee

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a light fudge color with two fingers of slowly retreating head with excellent retention.

S: Notes of cocoa, coffee, and breadiness. Excellent and inviting.

T: Taste is equally as complex as the smell. Notes of cocoa and caramel with the breadiness. As the beer warms you get a tart bite and a strong alcohol sensation.

M: Full without being unusually heavy. Fresh and carbonated without being too forward and slides down the throat easily.

This is easily one of the best rounded beers I've ever had. I wouldn't want one every day, but it is excellent and a real delight.

May 27, 2014
puboflyons from New Hampshire

4.16/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From the 750 ml. bottle. No dates of any kind listed. Sampled on May 16, 2014.

Should pilseners look pale yellow with huge white, puffy heads? I believe they should and this one does. Plus it has a touch of cloudiness.

The aroma does have some nice pale malt, grain, and barley malty characters with a touch of hops but there is also a vague lime feel to it. I was not offended by that little added note.

Medium body which is heavier than the average pilsener. Feels like it has some substance to it.

The lime notes I picked up on the nose seem to disappear in the taste. Instead, I pick up an adequate combination of grain, barley malts, roasted malts, sweetness, and a played down hop finale. Dry finish. It does not fail to satisfy.

May 17, 2014