Cambrinus | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Liked:
3.65/5
Alströms:

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

pours into a chalice with small head; nose is nearly undetectable but resembles flemish sour notes, but i had to sniff a good bit to get any smell at all. beer pours clear, as with every verhaeghe product I have had.

taste is also underwhelming, hints of sourness typical of their flemish reds, with an overtone of malty spicy character. all of the above are heavily understated. My guess is that this is a blend of some slightly sour beer with something maltier, maybe similar to their Noel beer I tried recently. It is inoffensive, maybe that is that point.

Aftertaste is mainly of maltiness, this greatly reminds me of their Noel beer.

Not sure what the motivation was to release this product, but I have concluded that what verhaeghe does well is make sour beer. This is not a sour beer.

Cambrinus from Brouwerij Verhaeghe