1. We need your support. Become a Premium member now for as little as $1.99 a month. And, if you join this month you can help us beta test our new app!
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Kölsch | Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)

3.83/5
Very Good

Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)
New York, United States
rohrbachs.com

Style: German Kölsch

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

None provided.

Reviews by Avagadro:
4.37/5  rDev +14.1%

I tried this brew at the Buffalo Road location a few months ago, and reviewed it on a napkin. For those wondering, I paired it with a Baurnwurst and some Saurkraut.

A: Pale-straw colored with decent lacing and retention. I would have liked more lacing, but this is likely due to limited resources at the bar.

S: Aroma is well presented, with bready malt and flowery hops.

T: Very crisp and dry. A bready base is complemented by flowery hops and an appropriate hint of fruitiness in the end.

M: Thin, clean body with a touch of carbonation.

D: A very good example of one of my favorite German styles. I've heard through the grape-vine that this may be making an appearance in growlers in the near future. Definitely worth a shot.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

Presentation: It was poured from tap and served in a pint glass at the Rohrbach brewpub.

Appearance: The body has a light straw yellow color with just a ring of white foam on top. The clarity was good and glass lacing was next to nothing. So far it's kind of boring.

Smell: In the nose I pick up what seems like a somewhat fruity and papery oxidized pale malt. The base malt seems cracker like with a hint of butter.

Taste/Palate: On the tongue I pick up an odd apple cider like sweetness with light buttery notes. This is on top of a pale malt base with some light toasted notes. The palate is right on the mark. Its light to medium bodied with nice balanced carbonation and a light mouth feel.

Notes: I think this is a hard beer style to do well as it is a lighter beer with subtle nuances. I am not sure if it was just old or maybe the tap line was dirty but this one was way off.

4.66/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Straw yellow with slightly cloudy appearance.

Smell: Malt with light fruit/honey overtones.

Taste: Malty taste with medium hops bitterness that was well balanced with a subtle malt sweetness. Could swear I tasted a hint of honey but that could just be the yeast and malt talking.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy.

Drinkability: Excellent. Paired well with Hot Buffalo Wings. Would drink more than one given the opportunity.

The Great Lakes Brewing News indicates that this will now be a regular offering at Rohrbachs and will replace their American Ale. I think it's a smart move because I never cared much for that one and this beer will pair well with many items on Rohrbachs menu.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Kölsch from Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)