JP (2010) | The Emerson Brewing Company

The Emerson Brewing Company
New Zealand (Aotearoa)
emersons.co.nz

Style: Belgian IPA

An India Pale Ale brewed to the Belgian Tripel style with Belgian yeast and the addition of NZ and American hops.

Added by ToasterChef on 02-02-2011

3.88/5  rDev 0%

A cellar temperature bottle poured into a Gouden Carolus chalice This bottle was purchased in New Zealand and brought to the US on a plane.

The beer has a golden copper hue. It is clear and plenty of carbonation can be seen streaming within. The head is modest, about a finger of tiny tan bubbles. Swirling the beer leaves behind a good coating of foam that is slow to receed.

Some grass hops are the first thing I smell when I take this beer in. Also present are Belgian yeast notes; it is slightly musty and a tad sweet. I believe it is Belgian candi sugar that I am smelling.

This beer tastes somewhere between an IPA and a Triple, with an emphasis on Belgian influences. A strong and mildly sweet malt base comes from the triple side. Candi sugars and Belgian yeast flavors can both be tasted. From the IPA end is a large hop profile. It is clean and citrus-like. Some bitterness lingers, along with a peppery spice form the yeast. The two tastes work well together. Some alcohol can be tasted in the finish and aftertaste.

The body of this beer is on the heavier side, but it leaves almost no coating. Some carbonation can be felt, it is not excessive. I do not feel any stickiness on my lips, which surprises me. The ABV lead me to believe it would be sticky beer, but only the heaviness of the body gives away this beer's strength.

I am really enjoying this beer. I think it is a great mixture of styles. If I were in NZ, I would buy up a lot of these bottles while lamenting the fact that this beer will not be brewed again. Although it is a strong beverage, it doesn't feel like it. It is an excellent beer to sit back and relax with. If I ever saw this one available again, I would not hesitate to purchase it.

JP (2010) from The Emerson Brewing Company