Reel Ales Belgian Quad | Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub

Reel Ales Belgian QuadReel Ales Belgian Quad

Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub
Washington, United States
fishbrewing.com

Style: Belgian Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by oberon on 07-17-2017

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Nice cleat reddish brown color. Not much head and very little lacing. More carbonated than I thought based on how much head developed on the pour. Maybe my nose is broke, but I didn't smell much on this beer. Clean finish. I liked it.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So, I took the chance to try this from a bottle shop and am glad I did. I hadn't had any of Fish Brewings offerings, but am glad I did.

First off, I poured into a 16 oz tulip glass and while I didn't find a ton of head or lacing, I found that what was there was sufficient. I was worried that the first aroma would be all boozy because of the 12% ABV, but wasn't at all.

The first taste I got was Sterling hops mixed in with some malty notes of caramel, brown sugar and then some dark fruit lurking in the background. The second introduces the booze and it just the way I like it.

Nothing wrong with this brew at all, if you like a good, boozy quad after a long days work, then this should suit you just fine!

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.02/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

L: Poured from a bottle to a goblet. Had a reddish-brown color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Above average lacing.

S: Had an aroma of a grassy , malt, a bit of yeast, and phenols.

T: Tasted of a fair amount of Belgian-style yeast, a lot of malt (more than usual), a lightly boozy quality, a very obtrusive grassy quality (mostly in the finish), and lots of fruity phenols. This is an out of whack kind of flavor. The grassiness kind of overpowers everything else. Not very appetizing.

F: A fair amount of carbonation with a sharp finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A wildly uneven beer on many levels. Could have been much better than it is.

Reel Ales Belgian Quad from Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub