Märzen | Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub

fishbrewing.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by RedDiamond on 01-23-2008

3.13/5  rDev 0%

I know it’s a lager and it’s supposed to be served cold. But it’s 17° outside and I’m wondering if stepping in for “a cold one” wasn’t the best idea I’ve had this week. My pint arrives disturbingly cold, leaving me with little to do but sit and wait for it to warm a bit, wondering why the Germans designated two times of year to enjoy a marzen and Fish’s January serving doesn’t coincide with either of them.

No matter. A good beer out of season is better than a timely bad one. And there’s nothing here to suggest this dark copper beer is all that traditional. Its taste touches upon biscuit malts with a generalized blandness lacking any discernable hop statement. There’s great clarity in the body, but not in the taste. And while some lace managed to appear, this lager came with no head and no smell.

Not a bad beer, but not inspiring either. The taste makes a statement of intent but doesn’t really follow through. Oh well, at least it comes with an umlaut.

Märzen from Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub