Mellert Pils | Hubert Mellert Brauerei

Style: German Pilsener

Added by bloberglawp on 05-30-2008

View: Beers
4.15/5  rDev 0%

A - Starts foaming as soon as I pop the cap, but pours easily. Lots of carbonation, all different sizes and moving at differnt rates... quite intersting. Solid gold colour, brilliant clarity. Delicate, frothy white head, eventually recedes, but leaves gobs of lace down the sides of my pilsener glass.

S - spicy, floral hops dominate the nose, it was wafting up my nose even while pouring. Seems quite agressive, seems to have a mineral quality as well.

T - More hops right off the start in the flavour, but not nearly as assertive as the aroma. Mild sweetness from the pils malt emerges, and then it quickly ends with dry, snappy hop bitterness. I wouldn't call it overly bitter, relatively mild, but leaves a nice floral character lingering on the palette. Clean all around.

M - fairly light body and mouthfeel, aided by the carbonation which is not harsh. Crisp and refreshing.

D - easily quaffable, relatively agressive hopping keeps it interesting, I pick up different nuances with every sip.

Well, it's not very often one gets the chance to sample a quality German Pilsener like this one, so I'm sure savouring it. Pilsener is likely not the first style to pop in my head when I think of good beer, but when a good one crosses my lips, it's a real treat. Simplicity and craftsmanship at its finest. And as already mentioned in Mattt's review, nothing quite beats a pilsener burp!

Thanks to Mattt for the bottle!

4.58/5  rDev 0%

My favorite german pilsner so far. I bought a case of Mellert on location, if you can, do the same. It fresh and at its prime.

I got to visit the brewery, the brewmaster gave me the tour, he speaks a little english, if you homebrew you will get by just fine. Everything is brewed according to the german purity law, and even carbonation is done with fresh wort added to the secondairy fermenters.

A medium pale yellow lager, huge frothy white head and good lacing. Soft fresh aroma of noble hops and grass. Flavor of bread, barley, hops and a firm blanced bitter end. A wonderful beer that I could easily drink all day.

This is the first german lager that ever made me burp hops, exellent!

Mellert Pils from Hubert Mellert Brauerei