Hoppy Black

n/a
Hoppy BlackHoppy Black
Notes:
3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

This is definitely a strange goose, and probably not the typical entry in the low alcohol beer section. I enjoyed this in an izakaya nestled under the train tracks south of Ueno, and had completely forgotten to enter my review.

Not black at all...more of a diluted cola colour, with a small, bubbly tan head. Malty aroma has a lot of bread in it, as well as grassy hops. Bready flavour, treacle and some slight citric hops, but all slightly weak tasting. Body is light and fizzy, but that's what I expected. Its actually very drinkable... just not something I would usually consider as a beer. Reviewed within the style its actually very good, reviewed out of the style, not so.

The remaining hoppy was then mixed with shochu to create a drink which I believe is called Crow Hoppy. It was passable, but felt a little like mixing beer with vodka. Very strange.

3.1/5  rDev -9.6%

A watery bronze color body, and a very light tan soap bubble head. Smell is toasted malts and crackerjacks. I like it! The taste is rich dunkel, with a light toasted hop aftertaste. Thin in the mouth--but it's non-alcoholic--so it's forgiven. Enjoyable to drink--far better than the original hoppy. But I must once again complain that I expected mor hops from Hoppy.

Hoppy Black from Hoppy Beverage Co., Ltd.