Ellicottville EVL Winter Brew

From:
Ellicottville Brewing Co.

New York, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.92/5  rDev +4%

Appearance-
The color was a pleasing deep ruby red. Clear to the eye, not cloudy at all. Head was 2+ fingers, off white and took an ample amount of time to dissipate. The lacing was a little lacking.

Aroma-
lots of aromas pop out... The first smell was chocolate, with undertones of citrus (orange). It reminded me of the chocolate oranges you get for Christmas, and whack against the wall to open.

Taste-
Was not not unlike the aroma, and improved as the beverage warmed to room temp. I kept my growler out on the table next to me, and the chocolate, orange, and nutmeg flavors grew in intensity as the jug wormed.

Feel-
The feel was that of an everyday straight from the tap lager. Not much to write about, I was expecting much more meat.

Drinkability-
This is a session beer for me, but I prefer strong flavored beers, someone more accustomed to Molson or Coors may not be able to handle more than 1, maybe 2, glasses. I finished my 1 Gallon (not half) growler. And enjoyed every minute.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A new winter seasonal from EBC it is described as a "Seasonal brew with East Kent Golding hops,chocolate malt,with hints of citrus and orange marmalade".Poured into a 22oz nonic a brilliant deep bronze with some real ruby tint to it a nicely formed one finger slight off white head atop that left a little broken lace behind as it settled rather quickly.Interesting aromas I picked up some vanilla and nutmeg spice along with light chocolate that lingers and a passing leafy English hop wich was light but detectable.Lighter mouthfeel makes it go down very very easily but maybe detracts a little from the flavors doesnt seem full enough,I will say this has some malty complexity vanilla and candied orange flavors along with some English toffee with that orange coming thru late again.The hops are subdued on the palate except a bit of a herbal presence in the background of the finish,hmm winter warmer or fruit/veggie beer I say winter warmer because the spice is more prevelent than the orange flavors interesting winter brew here from EBC.

Ellicottville EVL Winter Brew from Ellicottville Brewing Co.