Twain's JD Barrel-Aged Coffee Stout | Twain's Billiards and Tap

Twain's Billiards and Tap
Georgia, United States
twains.net

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by glid02 on 08-31-2009

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Light touch of the oak and whiskey here, and in this case the barrel has been kind, or at least not unkind. Pours black with an espresso crema colored ring of a head. Nice sweet coffee aromas, but not much barrel, malt, or whiskey there. Still, pleasant enough. Whoa! Like a shot of espresso with each sip. LOTS of coffee flavor, with a touch of sweetness at the end. Pretty hefty, but I don't think the barrel added much.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

One of two beers aged in Jack Daniels barrels.

Pours black with one of the darkest heads I've seen - one finger of dark brown and almost gray foam. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of bourbon with good amounts of coffee and some dark chocolate.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Loads of bourbon flavors up front with good amounts of coffee and roasted malt flavors. Midway through the sip a bit of overly sweet malt flavors come in before a bitter coffee ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I think this beer could have benefitted from a bit more time in the barrel to let the flavors mellow. Still, I've yet to have a bourbon barrel-aged beer that I didn't like and this is no exception.

Twain's JD Barrel-Aged Coffee Stout from Twain's Billiards and Tap