Twain's Barrel-Aged Abbey Ale | Twain's Billiards and Tap

Twain's Billiards and Tap
Georgia, United States
twains.net

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by glid02 on 09-21-2009

4/5  rDev 0%

Had on-tap at the brewpub - the bartender couldn't tell me the exact information regarding the barrel but it seemed like a plain oak barrel or some other type of barrel that had been used before. I believe it was around 8.0% ABV.

Pours a light orange-red color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sugar-coated and booze-soaked apricots with good amounts of sweet malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Apricot and pear fruit flavors up front are backed by sweet malts and Belgian candi sugar. These flavors carry through to a pretty crisp and sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with mdoerate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall I thought this was a solid beer although I'm a bit confused about where the barrel enters into things - I suppose it was smoother than it would have been otherwise. Anyways, this isn't the most complex BSPA but it's worth a shot.

Twain's Barrel-Aged Abbey Ale from Twain's Billiards and Tap