Alexander Keith's Honey Brown Ale | Alexander Keith's

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by PiratePete on 11-10-2003

Reviews by IMBrayon:
4.22/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer, easy to drink, no after bitter after taste, can drink before and during meals.I have tasted this one a a number of times in last three months and appreciate it a lot. Am presently alternating between Rickard's Red, Alpine and Keiths and find this Keith to be between the Rickard's and the Alpine for my tastes although I like them all. Great to be in the Maritimes and have good beer...
Will drink again

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Picked it up at a local grocery and tried immediately. Noted nice brown color and smell pretty good. Taste, not quite honey, but you can imagine it tastes like the honey of beers. Has a smooth creamy taste yet not too much taste. However does leave a somewhat honeyish aftertaste on the palate. Good stuff in my book.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Had this on tap at a piano bar that translates to Puss in Boots here in a small town down the road from St. Hippolyte. Served in a pint.

A: Poured a dark brown with a nice big white head. The head really had some nice retention and produced some nice lacing. Active carbonation bubbles run the glass.

S: Smell is predominantly that of roasted malt and honey. I know this sounds crazy, but thats what I got. A bit of earthy hops there, but so little it was almost not worth mentioning.

T: Taste is once again of lightly roasted malt, sweet honey and earthy hops. This beer is simple, but very tasty. Goes down incredibly . . .

M: Easy. Good carbonation makes this beer refreshing and keeps it flowing down the trap. This is a light to medium brew. With that said, this beer is a bit thin for what I was looking for. My only gripe about this beer.

D: Good beer and easily sessionable. Could be a bit heavier in body, but screw it. This is still a decent beer that tastes great and goes down easy. Great dinner brew.

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

Kieth's Honey Brown was not all that honey (it was brown) anymore than Kieth's IPA seems IPA. Still it was better than Keith's IPA which is brewed for national distribution. Kieth's is, of course, brewed by Oland's in Halifax. Olands is in turn owned and operated by Labatts which of cours is part of the Interbrew family. Considering the size of the organization then it seems amazing that they would brew a beer like Keith's Honey Brown Ale. HB is not the greatest beer in the world but it holds its own. It is available only as a draught in NB, NS, or PEI. I do not beleive it is available anywhere else. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anyway, Its a little thin and watery for my weird palate but it is still a drinkable ale. It was better with my mocha swirl cheesecake than their IPA would have been. Small disappearing head but an interesting taste that was like liquorice. I think I'll try it again next time I come accross it.

Alexander Keith's Honey Brown Ale from Alexander Keith's