Yippee Ki Yay Imperial IPA

Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 4 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
2.98/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at the horse brass the other day.

The beer pours an orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is kind of puzzling in this beer; I kind of expected that there would be considerable tropical fruit (in this case mango, papaya, pineapple and such), but there's no pine and no real underlying citrus either (maybe one gets a hint of tangerine and mandarin orange). It's Ok, but it doesn't smell like any West Coast IPA or DIPA I've ever come across. On the palate, this beer is a sweet mess. This has to be the sweetest, most syrupy IPA/DIPA/TIPA that I've ever come across. There's a hint of bitterness in the finish, but it's not nearly prominent enough to balance and counter the sweetness in this beer. In addition to the tropical fruit, there's also some sweet vanilla and maybe some underlying marschino cherry as well. Mouthfeel is full and cloying, and the high alcohol in this beer is definitely noticeable (though at least I'm not picking up any alcoholic burn).

I think I made it through about a quarter of the 12 ounce pour I ordered at the HB and then I just gave up. After a glass of bone a fide and pliny, this stuff was nearly undrinkable. Another IPA fail for the folks at Elysian.

Yippee Ki Yay Imperial IPA from Elysian Brewing Company