Snailbones

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
SnailbonesSnailbones
Notes: Let loose your love darts and give bones to a beer full of grapefruit, peach, guava, and grape notes. Manic IPA Series (MAY-AUG).

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 49 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.88/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

An interesting brew for sure, I need to try it on tap, I think I always end up with cans that are 6 weeks to 2 months old but I never know because they only use a best by date. I’ve had Stardust that was exceptional when fresh but muddled and mediocre when not, and Elysian has a ton of beer all over on shelves that are 2-3 months old. They really need a packaging date. So, while this brew might be great, it’s ok with 6+weeks, I’ll look for something else for my $15 with tax sixer, hope they get a canning date instead

3.77/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a tasty beer that hides its alcohol strength extremely well, but one that was just a week or two away from its expiration date on the can, and that already tasted a bit faded and past its optimal moment. that said, still lots of fruitiness to the hops, nice balance from a fuller, earthy grain build, and one that really could sneak up on you if you werent careful, this drinks like a normal strength ipa to me. the pour is nice, super lively with a tall frothy tan head with irregular peaks that last the whole drink. aroma is orchard fruit and floral honey to me, with a little spike of pithy bitterness, and the flavor agrees, peach and papaya and mango notes for sure, trace oxidation unfortunately, a splash of orange and grapefruit as the bitterness ramps up later on, and nice round malt flavors giving this some good balance for a beer as big as it is. pretty dry at the end and the higher carbonation keeps it on the light side as well. still solid at this point, these guys always do the hoppy stuff well, but i would have liked to try this when it was brand new, im sure it was even better then...

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This surprised me on a couple occasions. Complex with a malty presence, pronounced peach and other stone fruit, but bitter to last awhile. Mine has aged on the store shelves a bit long so I’ll update as needed when I try a fresher one.

3.89/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

BB 04/22/19.....so a month+ to go.
Clear apricot pour. Great creamy white head, Lots of bubble patch lacing.
Taste is crisp, aftertaste is dry. Not nearly as much hop flavor profile as Space Dust.
Aroma is bready, a bit muted.
8.5% abv screams DIPA, not IPA.
I got this at a bargian sale price, but at the $13-14/ 6pk price point, there are more hop-forward IPAs I'd choose.
eg. Sticky Hands, Vortex, or Lush.

Two of these, hand over the keys.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Exceptional IPA. Pours a hazy amber/orange with a frothy head. Hoppiness is immediately offset by fruitiness. Multiple fruits are present. The finish is much hoppier and quite a bit of citrus comes through here. This beer is the best beer you could ever pair with a pineapple and ham pizza.

3.76/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I’m convinced something must have changed in this latest batch of Snailbones IPA (canned July 30 2018), as I would NEVER describe this as even vaguely similar to Elysian’s Dayglow IPA. IBUs are through the roof on this one. I’m a HUGE IPA fan, and have championed the style since 1994 when I was 5 years too young to drink legally in the USA. I love a super hoppy IPA with high IBUs [admittedly I’m more in love with piney & grassy characteristics than some of the grapefruit-type bitterness that seems to be concentrated on the back and sides of my tongue (sides perceiving it a tad bit sweeter,
And the back where all the bitterness seems to be concentrated)] but this is so bitter, in that grapefruit-like way, that I simply don’t enjoy it very much. It got a decent score from me when I broke it down to those individual categories (taste smell etc) but i wish there was a category (yes/no) for would you buy it again if it was the only IPA in stock (yes). Or would you choose it over an older “boring” classic like Lucille from Georgetown Brewing co. or space dust from Elysian (and the answer is hands-down NO!).

I want to like this beer. I drank a bit this morning with a clean palate before writing this, to give it another chance, and I liked it a tiny bit more, which is to say I actually finished the can, but the lingering bitterness is simply unpleasant and a ham-fisted attempt by Elysian to try something different, perhaps. I would LOVE to find out that this was a mistake, and I got a bad batch.

4.51/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my favorite beers, and at the time I tried it was hands-down my favorite. Strong tropical pineapple, guava, and melon notes and a juicy taste balanced perfectly with a decent IBU and a subtle malt body. Similar to Elysian Dayglow IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Brewers Haven. Does not seem Imperial. Nice looking electric golden, small tight head that lasts. Mellow hoppy aroma,some malt too, toffee. Taste is also subdued, at first seeming like a nice APA. Hops kick in at the back, both in bitterness, and with some alcohol heat. This is where it gets "Imperial".

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Color is clear golden amber with modest foam in the big tulip. Aroma of orange and roses. At 8.5%, I believe I would call this a DIPA. It's hot and malty and on the sweet side, and I think we have agreed that the strong ones should be called a Double.

Fruity with orange marmalade taste plus the peach that others have mentioned. Quite bitter aftertaste. It's a little woody, quite acidic, and hugely flavored. On the cloying side with some odd flavors. I think of those perfumed candles. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Haggen Market in Burlington.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty standard pour. Clear and gold with a thick foamy head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is fruity and sweet, very pleasant. Taste is also very sweet, like a peach, but layered almost one for one with overwhelming bitterness. It's in almost perfect balance. Absolutely delicious. Mouthfeel is slick and full bodied, again, very nice.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2017-10-03
22oz bottle served in a large mug. I don't see a date on it.

Pours a mostly clear light amber with a smallish head and medium carbonation. Smell is fairly muted, but mostly juicy.

Taste is heavy bitterness, a little straw, lots of lemon rind, more bitterness, and an echoing hint of sweetness somewhere in there.

Mouthfeel is resinous and dry. Overall, good.

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draught at Frontier Brewing Company and Taproom in Casper.
Pours a pale gold with an inch of foam.
Smells peachy, bitter, pitty, some sweet notes.
Tastes of peach pits but also kinda tropical fruity. More citrus hops, but definitely the peach.
Medium body with medium carbonation. Long lasting aftertaste.
Nice beer.

3.79/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 Oz bottle. No bottling info

Pours a hazy honey colored body with a fluffy white head. Lots of tiny lacing but not much retention.

I'm getting a mango-peaches sort of smell that's very sweet. I'm also getting some malt, maybe a little orange peel too. But the peach mango thing is most of the scent...Overall scent is not overly prominent.

Taste is mainly peaches with some malt . There is a very nice bitterness that the malt balances out very well.

The medium feel seems appropriate.

Overall; It was good but not worth the 8 bucks I shelled out for it. They brew this beer from May-August. My gut reaction is that this one was brewed in May. (...and today is August 6th)

4.11/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Is this a new Manic series IPA? From the label it looks like it. Pretty. Pours cloudy and yellow with very little head formation. Slightly fruity aroma, sweet, with pineapple and passionfruit. Ok, maybe more than little fruity. Tropical, but not familiar like a Citra IPA -- could this be Galaxy?

Flavor is juicy off the charts. No really, I think there's peach juice in here. It's so fruity and delicious I have to wonder if this can really call itself an IPA. The bitterness of the hops is literally balanced out by the sweetness of the hops. I love tropical IPAs and I'm not sure if I can say this is a good example of one because it's just so far out there. But it's a marvel to experience. Seek this one out.

8.5% ABV.

3.47/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: nice light orange/honey color, very very thin head with minimal lacing.
S: boring, non descript
T: malty, some sticky fruit
F: carbonation feel is good, but finishes sticky
I'm pretty disappointed. Recent reviews had me very excited. It's drinkable, but not nearly as good as some of Elysian's other beers.

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Transparent pale yellow, thin head, generous lacing.

Smells of malty Lemons, delicious!

Tastes shockingly good! Creamy and crisp, with lively carbonation.
Beyond the typical citrus, pine (almost zero) and grapefruit, surprising flavors here, it must be that peach and guava!
(First time I've had peach in my brew since the 90s, a most welcome change of pace!)

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Really good beer I bought a 22 oz beautiful artwork. really clean easy to drink IPA with 8.5% ABV. not 7.4%. I love the manic IPA series. keep up the good work elysian!

Snailbones from Elysian Brewing Company