Header Stout | Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro

Added by beertunes on 05-01-2012

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.05/5  rDev -3.5%

This is one of 4 beers being brewed by various local breweries for Bellingham's new club-level soccer team, The United. Available only at the brewery, The Copper Hog (the host pub for The Unted) and the beer garden The Uniteds games. The coffee was supplied by a local roaster, Bellingham Bay Coffee Roasters.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a lightly translucent black,(a bit lighter colored than the base Irish Stout) with just over an inch of tan head that had good retention and lacing (but again, not as good as the base beers).

The aroma was very coffee forward, almost overpoweringly so for this non-coffee drinker. The base grain and malt scents were there, but it took a fair bit of effort to reach them. The flavors were kind of the same story, but the beer aspects held up a bit better against the java assault than the scents did.

The body was, full and smooth, but a bit thinner than the base beers. Drinkabilty was OK, and if you're a coffee lover, you'll find it more drinkable than I did. Overall, a good take on the style and I think it reached it's goals. They just aren't goals that appeal to me however. This beer is certainly worth a shot if you see it, you can try all 4 United beers at the Hackey-ball games.

Note: When I'm reviewing beers I suspect I won't like, for personal taste reasons, I try really hard to use a fair and balanced approach. I originally had this beer an additional .5 in every catagory. But after thinking it over overnight, I had to give the lower scores just because I didn't enjoy the beer that much. YMMV, try the beer for yourself.

Header Stout from Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro