Hop On! | Old Market Pub And Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by freed on 01-22-2004

Reviews by freed:
3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

This beer is strikingly amber and slightly hazy. A very thin layer of foam keeps the ale covered, and doesn't diminish during the drink.

The aroma provided quite a discussion between my wife and I. I think it was a mixture of floral and citrus but backed with a more earthy hop aroma. Maybe a mixture of something like cascade, amarillo and columbus? Anyway, it was nice.

The taste was a bit on the sweet side, but mixed the malt body well with the grapefruit and dung flavors from the hops. I don't mean dung in a bad way either. It was good, and went very well with the fries.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Served in a standard pint, the beer is dark bronze with a dense creamy beige head. Lacing covers almost every spot on the glass as I drank it down.

The nose is of citrus & caramel. It is very fresh and inviting.

The taste is slightly bitter with grapefruit notes lots of caramel notes with a slightly woody finish.

The mouth is crisp with very active carbonation. Like a lot of the house beers, this is generously hopped. Well done!!

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

4.39/5  rDev +14.3%

Appears reddish amber in color with a thin white head.

It smells of dank hops. I get a strong pine like and grass like hop smell. There is also a floral like hop smell as well. I also get a bit of an earthy pepper smell. It smells just like fresh hops. This smells like an IPA or a Double IPA to me not an American Amber.

It initially tastes of dank fresh hops. I get a bit of a pine like grassy fresh herbal hop flavor. I also get what seems like a bit of a peppery yeast flavor to the beer. I also get a bit of what tastes like orange zest. The beer has a very mild malt character that is well hidden by the hop presence. Though the malt adds some body to the beer. The beer finishes with a very strong bitterness that lingers on for a while.

There is ample carbonation and there is a pretty smooth mouth feel to the ale.

The drinkability is pretty good. The beer goes down smooth but if you do not like very bitter beer you would not like this. Though in my opinion this is bitter but not too bitter and there is a good balance to the beer.

Overall a great well hopped bitter flavorful beer. Though this tastes more like an IPA to me then amber ale. This is probably my favorite beer that Old market makes.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Another beautiful beer.

Hop On! is the “splendid” high hopped amber ale from Old Market. “Splendid” is the word quoted on the menu from a regular named Ted who fancies the stuff. I’m with Ted on this one. Hop On! (spelled with an exclamation mark like EarthFirst!) is a fine beverage with an abundance of citrus hop flavor.

First, it’s pretty to look at. It is clouded garnet, like the color of dried apricot, with infinitesimally tiny bubbles streaming upwards to an indifferent and distracted head. A crisp citrus aroma sets the central senses in motion. The taste is artfully over-hopped but not overblown, and never threatens the mouthfeel with grit.

The menu says the recipe was originally a mistake, an accident. So was my kid brother, but things have worked out fairly well so far.

Hop On! from Old Market Pub And Brewery