Palmetto Hop Harvest IPA | Palmetto Brewing Company

Palmetto Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

We brew this seasonal IPA to celebrate the fall hop harvest, using freshly picked Centennial, Simcoe, and Cascade 'wet' hops (picked on day before we brew).

Added by mikesgroove on 10-27-2010

Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 13
4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Had this drink in a chilled glass out of a bottle in 2009 at Huck's Low Country Table in Isle of the Palms, SC. My first IPA and I have been hooked ever since. Very smooth and crisp compared to my previous experience with other pale ales. I have since converted from a fan of dark brews to lighter beers particularly very floral IPA beers. I need to find this locally again to give a good review.

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

A: amber. Mildly hazy. 1.5 finger head. Decent amount of lace

S: mild hop aroma. Somewhat earthy.

T: piney. Nice hop character. Citrus notes

M: An initial bite and smooth finish. Moderate carbonation, Medium to full body

Overall: my first from this brewery. A "safe" IPA. I looked forward to trying other brews.

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Arrives with a very hazy amber cast that is capped by in inch of head that leaves a webbed pattern of lace

Smell: Balanced elements of toffee malt and a rather earthy hop tone with a hint of pith

Taste: Opens with a toffee malt flavor that is complemented by a stone fruit character; in the middle, the earthy hops kick in deivering an undertone of pineapple and citrus pith; the finsh is nicely balanced

Mouthfeel: Medium body with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: A bit over-carbonated to my palate for the style but a very nice and somewhat different take on the flavor profile

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Maybe a half inch head from the pour which does not last long. Average to above average carbonation with decent lacing. I was very excited to try this beer but slightly wary... I am not the biggest fan of the brewery. Taste was great with the hops and citrus immediately apparrent but not overwhelming. The malt peaks quickly and gives way to a smooth, slightly carbonated aftertaste with the hops and citrus lingering lightly. Good mouthfeel with a light golden colour that is a little milky. This beer will compete with, but does not stand out from other beers in the fresh-hopped class. Overall a great beer in my opinion, which may be biased due to the fact that I am a native Charlestonian with a deep rooted love of all ipa's.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden brown color and a somewhat cloudy consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Average lacing.

S: A nice, sweet aroma of citrus, hops and a little malt.

T: Tasted of hops, mild citrus (a bit of lemon) and some malt in the finish. Not a groundbreaking flavor, but flavorful.

M: An OK amount of carbonation with a slick, oily finish. Medium-bodied.

D: On the whole, a decent, drinkable beer

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

I have not been a fan of most things put out by Palmetto Brewery, but with the Hop Harvest they finally got t right.

Nice golden wheat color with a rich smell of hops. The hops are a little strong up front, but finish smooth. I have had a couple at my local watering hole and keep going back for more.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Got this one at Charleston Beer Exchange. Not a huge fan of hoppy beers, but it's by a longtime local brewery, so I figured why not. Wasn't too impressed by the head to this one. It started out somewhat thick and semi-fluffy, but died out pretty quick. Color of the beer was a bright, golden straw with a slight haze. Smell was def strong hops, hits you in the face, starts out very aggressive, but again, it dies out as it warms. The taste was interesting. It was pretty much what I expected, hops and more hops. So much, it left a burning effect in my throat. As funny as it sounds though, it was pretty smooth, didn't leave a nasty taste, which I did like a lot. I thought it was a decent beer, but again, hoppy IPAs aren't really my thing. Maybe someone that likes them will enjoy it more.

Palmetto Hop Harvest IPA from Palmetto Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.