WIT Till Next Year! | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

3.61/5

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: Witbier

Added by neenerzig on 08-07-2009

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

Served on tap into a eight-sided Hoegaarden style glass at the Great Lakes Brewpub

A- Poured a hazy straw yellow with a one finger frothy head

S- Orange peel, bubblegum, yeast, and some spice

T- Big spice notes, it tasted like oregano was added, reminded me a lot of an Italian dish, it was probably the green peppercorns they said were added to the beer. Orange peel, bubblegum, yeast, and coriander

M- Some prickly carbonation, finished dry, crisp, and refreshing

O- An interesting twist on the witbier, but I definitely prefer their Holy Moses. The peppercorn/oregano notes were very present, they were not bad, but definitely a little too prominent for my taste.

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a cloudy light yellow. Frothy white head that falls quickly leaving a ring and spots of lacing.

Smells like burnt eggs to me. There are some light lemon and spice notes as well. The spice notes remind me of a good gin.

The flavors are funky with a nice lemon zest and pepper bite. I taste something that reminds me of celery.

This beer has a light to medium body with a nice touch of carbonation. It has a long finish.

A good beer but not one Id drink a lot of.

4.27/5  rDev +18.3%

Review being written from notes as I drank this one a few weeks ago now. This beer is another, new on-tap only "pub exclusive" at the GLBC. Served in an octagon shaped pint glass, like the one pictured on 6 packs of Hoegaarden. This beer is a fairly cloudy medium golden color. White head dissipates almost instantly after being served to me to a medium ring lining the inside of the glass. Not much lacing. Has a nice malty and zesty lemon/citrus aroma, along with a hint of coriander and peppercorn. Has a nice sweet lemon/citrus zest flavor upfront along with sweet malt. I certainly picked up on the grains of paradise right away. Slight spice for the coriander and peppercorns. Rounded out with a slight touch of hops. Has a fairly crisp, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in a good way. A good, but not all that great, beer from Great Lakes. I would drink this again.

Eric

WIT Till Next Year! from Great Lakes Brewing Co.