Black Racer | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

4.25/5

Added by Rhynes2 on 04-12-2012

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Limited release available in the tap room (April 2013). 7.0% ABV and 55 IBU

A - very dark but not pitch black. 3 fingers of head with a creamy, hazy appearance.

S - hops are present, but I would stop short of saying this beer smells 'hoppy' compared to other Black IPAs out there (Black Rajah at the high end of that spectrum). Actually picked up some malt and toasted notes. At this point I was pretty confused...it looked like a Guiness and didn't really smell hoppy. Black IPA you say?

T - creamy, english malts with a faint to medium hop presence that didn't 'bite', nor were the hops overpowering or very bitter. Slight toast and smoke flavour (which GLBC always does very well I might add!!). Very appropriate use of hops to get this beer just enough kick. This is really a malt forward beer and would be enjoyed by those that love a good stout or porter more than an IPA.

M - Thin and creamy. Easy drinker. Carbonation was a bit high, but not an issue for me.

O - I was puzzled at first and then really came around to enjoying this beer. Very different than most Black IPA's I've had. Very malt forward and balanced which is how I would describe many of GLBC's beers. I would recommend. Very unique and worth a try.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a limited release black IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Company. Pours a thick black with a little off white head. There isn't much head retention but the smell is great. When you take a sniff you get the dark roasted malts with hints of caramel and honey. The taste gives you a great piney citrus flavor but balances out with the dark roasted malts. Its a very unique beer and I'm glad I got to try it since they ran out a few glasses after ours at the bar where it was released.

Black Racer from Great Lakes Brewing Co.