Modelo Chelada Tamarindo Picante | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Modelo Chelada Tamarindo PicanteModelo Chelada Tamarindo Picante
Liked This Beer
3.24 w/ 14 ratings
Modelo Chelada Tamarindo PicanteModelo Chelada Tamarindo Picante

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by brother_rebus on 04-09-2017

Liked:
3.24/5
Alströms:

2.79/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.5/5  rDev +8%

2.92/5  rDev -9.9%

C / AVERAGE

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had been working for a carryout bottle shop for a while around the beginning of the year, ostensibly as the manager in training, but I was hampered by ownership & a bar manager in whom ownership placed a misguided trust. I finally walked away, but not before I had scored some things that had arrived which I had not previously seen. I was doubly excited by the prospect of adding this one to The CANQuest (tm).

From the CAN: "With the refreshing flavors of tomato, salt, lime, tamarind and chipotle peppers".

Another tallboy 25-fl. oz. CAN! Wow! They are, at least, impressive & they will fight me on the Crack!, causing it to be extra-loud when it happens. I was careful on the Glug since this much liquid CAN be difficult to handle if not done properly. I got a brief finger of foamy, soapy, pinkish head that quickly fell away to wisps. Color was a murky reddish-pinkish Amber (SRM = N/A). Nose was redolent with tomato, but I also got the salt & lime as well as a spiciness that I could not immediately place. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely of tomato, but the spicy heat of the peppers was also quite evident, as was the salt & lime combination. I know that the tamarind was supposed to be adding a sweetish flavor, but I was not getting it. Instead, the heat of the peppers was acting as a perfect CANterbalance/CANterpart to that extremely sweet Mixxtail from earlier. I was getting a sheen of sweat on my forehead & on the bald spot on the crown of my head. Phew! My nose was even starting to run a little bit. I know that I do not have the tolerance for such things as The FGBS' Drinking Team's Burn Brothers, but I CANnot help but think that they might enjoy this. This really worked well with the various ingredients meshing into something that was eminently drinkable. I have had Cheladas before which tasted like the underside of the pier & which were a chore to even choke down. This was the polar opposite, with the peppery spiciness adding a new dimension to the tomato flavor. The lime & salt did not hurt, but it was the chipotle peppers that really made this one sing. Finish was dry, as you might expect from the addition of peppers. I had no problem drinking this one straight down! It was utterly refreshing & delicious. Also, given some previous reviewers' mention of a chunkiness, I agitated it in the CAN & let it settle before beginning my Glug. I think that by doing so, it got any sediment/settling back into suspension. It didn't hurt anything.

3.17/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Cloudy red brew with no head, Cheladas don't really lend themselves to the standard beer review. It looks like a Bloody Mary which Cheladas kind of are.

Smells of tomato. Scent of salt and some citrus but not really strongly.

Starts out tasting like smoky tomato juice with some tartness. Tamarind is in there with salt. Mild lingering spicy aftertaste. More tart than most Cheladas.

Mouthfeel is tomato juice.

Overall a refreshing beverage, but not beer as Beer Geeks know it.

4.02/5  rDev +24.1%

24 oz can. Aroma is tomato juice, generic beer, spices, wet stone, pepper. Pours hazy burnt orange with a medium pinkish off-white head with decent retention. Taste is tart, salty and spicy with a fair amount of pepper heat; flavors of tomato, lime juice, pepper, other spices that I assume include the tamarind. Lots of lime here. It’s seriously puckering. Mouthfeel is pretty thin, but that’s to be expected given the base beer. Awesome stuff! Far and away the best chelada I’ve ever had.

4.06/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Modelo Chelada Tamarindo has a thick, frothy, peach-colored head, which actually sticks around a bit, and a murky, orange-red, chunk-filled appearance, with salty, sediment residue, left behind. The aroma is of tomato, beer, and low-level spices, and the taste is of salt, tomato, spices, and a paper note, which I often encounter in meso-American lagers. Mouthfeel is medium, and Modelo Chelada Tamarindo finishes salty and salad-y.

RJT

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

3.1/5: Really interesting mix of chipotle heat and tamarind, and the chelada itself isn't gross; kind of sweet at the end of the day

3.31/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.54/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.65/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

decent carb. Some nice lime flavor. Not as salty and savory as I would expect. Kind of a weird sweetness flavor from the tamarind(?). Not a typical adjunct chelada. A strange mistake of a variation. Not willing to try again.

Modelo Chelada Tamarindo Picante from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 21.4% out of 100 with 14 ratings