Bergquell Pilsner

Notes:
View: Beers
BlackHaddock from England

3.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green Week, Berlin 2012: first German beer I had during what is always a long day of drinking. The bar was in Hall 1(2)A and therefore surrounded by pets (this Hall is the small animal and pet show area), mostly cats and dogs, but there were also reptiles, rabbits and other animals hanging around. The wife and friends wandered around looking at the various compounds and stalls while I made a bee-line to the bar.

The on-tap choice was this or its Porter stable mate, I choose this because of what was to come later and I’d had the Porter some years ago (in bottle form though). The beer was poured into a lovely stemmed, badged glass which cost me a ‘pfund’ of 2 Euro’s. The actual 0.3 litre of beer cost just a little more.

The beer is very light, even for a Pilsner, golden, bright and as clean as a whistle, on top a snow white crown that left some good lacing as I downed the beer.

Earthy grain aroma, some hop content also.

The beer is very dry and light in flavour as well as colour: some hop bitterness married to a mild malty bread taste. Refreshing and a lot better than looking at bloody cats!

This set the benchmark for the days drinking, the German Sekt and Russian beer I’d had earlier had quenched my thirst but this beer I quite enjoyed.

Mar 05, 2012