Barre Pilsner | Privatbrauerei Ernst Barre GmbH

Added by seanyfo on 09-21-2011

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 8
3.84/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Barre is the beer I grew up with. It took me into my beer career and won't be forgotten. Today I prefer "GREEN" Bottle beers, eg Becks, Heineken, ....

Anyone not knowing Barre I welcome to taste a bit of my youth and homeland,
Coming in the classic brown Steini-bottle

3.41/5  rDev +3%

International Green Week, Berlin 2012: at last we reach Hall 12, the hall dedicated to German breweries and food to go with beer. We find a table and seats by the Andechs bar leave the womenfolk to keep the area safe. I amble a few yards and notice a brewery bar I’ve never heard of before: Privatbrauerei Ernst Barre, the Pilsner first, I went back for the Dunkel soon after!

Lovely glass, lovely looking Pilsner, golden, bright and clear, good white crown on top. The head left some heavy duty lacing as the glass emptied.

Grassy, herb like aroma, hops giving that smell I’d imagine, no malt esters to pick up.

The taste follows the smells, mostly hop flavours without a sharp bite or tang, this is refreshing but not crisp in the mouth: softer and gentle compared to most German Pilsners, lets call it 'spritzy'.

Medium mouthfeel, this was a fine beer and I enjoyed it enough to try their Dunkel as my next beer to review.

3.47/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brought this beer home after a visit to the great beercountry Germany. Barre is a local beer in the north of Germany. Best before march 2012.

Poured in my Struise glass. Looks OK but no carbonation. The head stays for quit a while The smell is better than the beer i had before this one. A sweet taste but not too much, the hops are making this beer not too bitter. Overall a very drinkable beer.

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

50cl bottle poured into Paulaner Seidel

BBE March 2011

A- Pale straw blonde body with 3 finger solid head. Retention is good/average as is the lacing.

S- Minimal aroma, faint DMS and hint of hop bitterness.

T- Malt flavours balance between sweetness and a musty DMS note before fading in a low hop bitter watery finish.

M- Carbonation is high, almost abrasive. Medium body.

D- Average pils. Lacks the dominant hop puckering bitter finish of a better pils.

Barre Pilsner from Privatbrauerei Ernst Barre GmbH
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.