Barre Dunkel | Privatbrauerei Ernst Barre GmbH

2.94/5
Alströms:

2.5/5  rDev -15%

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle, poured into Krombacher tulip.

Firstly, according to the bottle this is a top fermenting beer, so by definition not a Munich Dunkel Lager.

S: Dark ruby, almost opaque, small taned head, kept some lacing.

T: Cranberry, molasses, dark choclate, increasing bitterness.

M: Smooth, heavy body, low carbonation.

O: Hard to define but enjoyable, I would class it as an Altbier because of where it comes from and its characteristics. Reminded me of a Mild or even a Dubbel.

3.5/5  rDev +19%

International Green Week, Berlin 2012: at last we reach Hall 12, the hall dedicated to German breweries and food to go with beer. We find a table and seats by the Andechs bar leave the womenfolk to keep the area safe. I amble a few yards and notice a brewery bar I’ve never heard of before: Privatbrauerei Ernst Barre, the Pilsner first, I went back for the Dunkel soon after!

The Dunkel is dark, a very dark brown, clear but almost too dark to see through, even when held up to a strong light source. The head was a medium thick covering of foam, off-white/beige in colour.

Lightly roasted malts hit the nose, semi-sweet molasses (toffee, coffee, caramel), biscuits and toast.

Flavours in the mouth are also heavy on the malt content; some fruit type tastes also come into play after the initial flavours reduce their impact: the hops prevent the beer becoming too sweet but add very little bitterness to the overall feel of the beer which I thought was nicely balanced. I do prefer the sweetish maltier brews usually and this was an ideal beer to have before the ‘Liebinger Zeppelin’ I was to have next.

Barre Dunkel from Privatbrauerei Ernst Barre GmbH