Selection Double IPA

From:
Picaroons Traditional Ales

New Brunswick, Canada
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
PorterPro125 from Canada (NB)

Serving Type: 64 oz. Growler

A- Poured a beautiful coppery red hue into a Pint Glass that was topped by a two-finger width white head that persisted pretty consistently throughout the drinking session. A great beer to admire for sure!

S- The aroma I got from this beer instantly reminded me about what I loved in IPA's. Beautiful hop aromas that pretty much covered the hop aroma spectrum for me.. Lots of pungent herbal notes along with a spicy, fruity hint. Quite satisfying to the nose!

T- Most likely due to the fact that I haven't had an IPA since the warm weather went down the drain (months ago now), this Double IPA hit my tastebuds hard! This ale packs a huge amount of hoppy goodness into the taste and that really sat well with me: quite bitter, but not so that it was off-putting! The bitterness brought out some fruity and oily hops notes that was well supported by a fine malt backbone. Nothing extraordinary but it was incredibly pleasing. I found the taste reminded me of Propeller Brewery's IPA. Incredibly well balanced.

M- Like a great IPA should, this brew had the perfect amount of carbonation (medium) and felt much more substantial than a watery lager. The mouthfeel alone gives the beer a very hearty identity.

O- If you are ever driving through Fredericton, New Brunswick and this stuff happens to be on tap at the Brewtique or Prospect St. Liquor Store, do yourself a favour and stop in! For me, this was my first IPA brewed by Picaroons and they did a damn fine job. It's well balanced from the aroma down to the mouthfeel and I don't think they could've done a better job with this one. Superb brew.. Two Thumbs up from me!

Nov 03, 2014