Olde Rip Barrel Aged Barleywine | Olde Hickory Brewery

Olde Hickory Brewery
North Carolina, United States
oldehickorybrewery.com

Style: American Barleywine

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by mikesgroove on 09-22-2009

4.67/5  rDev 0%

I stumbled upon this one by accident. I was not actually expecting to find anything like this, but wow. Talk about leaving an impression.

Rich garnet in color this one poured out just how I would have expected it to. Nice off white head was just sitting gingerly on top. Settled down easy with minimal side glass lacing but looking the part it was off to the races. Huge bourbon aroma here. Rich leather and vanilla just oozing from the very first whiff that reached the area. Caramel malts and light notes of toffee coming in as it warms up, massively complex. Each moment seeming to make it stronger and stronger and I trying to hold myself back from diving into it, but then I realize I should just go for it. Smooth, so smooth, you would not expect something so big to be so delicate. Rich butterscotch and vanilla notes play off each other wonderfully. Each sip brings a delicate flavor that you had not noticed before. Hints of fruitiness coming forward now, light leather and herbal hop notes hidden in the back with a light rumbling of wood. Final sips yield a dry finish that really just caps it off perfectly leaving a sweet caramel flavor that is just ripe for another sip.

Overall just blown away by this one. Wonderful balanced and subtle with a near perfect aging to it. I really don't see much they could have done better here and may have stolen the show for me.

Olde Rip Barrel Aged Barleywine from Olde Hickory Brewery