Brains Merlin's Oak | Brains

Wales, United Kingdom
sabrain.co.uk

Style: English Bitter

Availability: Fall

A celebration of Wales' connection to Arthurian legend. Welsh folklore on the Magician says; "When Merlin's tree should tumble down then shall fall Carmarthen Town".

A well-rounded ale with a rich autumnal hue, warm oats, honey and nutty flavours.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

4.87/5  rDev +31.3%

I am happy to report that despite the "retired" tag, this ale is very much still at work. A seasonal ale produced only in September, this may be one of the best things I've ever tasted.

Drank several pints (cask-conditioned, naturally) in a pub in Stoke Newington, London. Beautiful reddish hue with a tantalizing aroma of roasted barley. Slightly creamy mouthfeel. Very subtle flavoring of oats and honey. I could drink this stuff by the gallon if I had the opportunity. I WISH American craft brewers would quit hitting people over the head with their hops and learn how to make a proper ale like this one.

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

I had this beer in one of the nicest pubs in London, the Black Friar. There used to live monks here, the place looks like a place of worship.

Color was amber with a small head and very little visible carbonation.

Smell was caramellic, not very bitter and low in fruitiness. Mild.

Taste was caramel, and little hop aroma. I expected it to be more bitter, but it was a good beer. Some yeast produced fruitiness.
Mouthfeel was excellent for a beer this strength, I really don't miss the alcohol. Drinkability is excellent.

A big halleluja for low alcohol English beers!!

Brains Merlin's Oak from Brains